1988 Evinrude V4, 140hp keeps cutting out and struggling under power (stalls)

gshoemark

Recruit
my engine starts fine but when you go to engage it into gear it cuts out, but when it does go (after trying over and over again) I can get it to go but it splutters runs a bit rough then it just kicks into life like there was no problem... any ideas? when it did this we went 5 nautical miles with no problem until we stopped again.

got it serviced two months ago, the guy put carbon cleaner through it, replaced spark plugs, compression test and he said he adjusted the carburator, it went well up until now. please help!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1988 Evinrude V4, 140hp keeps cutting out and struggling under power (stalls)

Adjusting the carb is not the same as cleaning the carbs. I suspect it is a fuel problem and the carbs probable need re-building.

Now just as a thing to also try is to squeeze the fuel bulb when it sputters too. If it picks up then it could be the fuel pump in need of a re-build.

canadam12

Recruit
Re: 1988 Evinrude V4, 140hp keeps cutting out and struggling under power (stalls)

I have a very similiar problem with my engine. It sat for close to 2 years before I bought it. I have run 2 fresh tanks of gas through it, 1 full can of sea foam, replaced the spark plugs with the ones reccomended on this forum and used a whole can of carb cleaner in the carbs.
It starts perfectly and roars like a lion when on the driveway with the muffs. When on the water under load I get less than half throttle and she just bogs down. If I raise the tilt, she goes full throttle no problem. Put the prop back in the water and no power again.
It's been suggested to me that I have the carbs rebuilt. Does this sound like a good idea or do you think it might be something else?

irocz_man

Cadet

Could be a fuel supply issue - not getting enough/getting air into fuel line somewhere...
Have you changed the fuel filter?
Checked all lines for pin holes, tight clamps?
Made sure fuel tank is getting vented?
Tried a different fuel supply?

When the engine isn't under load it can run on less fuel so 1 of the things above could be wrong, but you won't know it.
If you still have the problem after those (you could even try this first to verify it's a fuel supply problem), as recommended to me by another member schematic, have someone continuously squeeze the fuel bulb while you're under full power on the water and if the engine picks up that verifies it's a fuel problem - if you've already checked/tried the things above your fuel pump could be weak.
I've been told not to jump to fuel pump first though as they don't fail often and as something else in the fuel supply is probably the issue.

canadam12

Recruit

I pulled the fuel filter off and blew through it and it seemed fine.( I will change it tonight though) I've also tried pumping the fuel bulb and that doesn't make a difference. I've checked all the fuel lines and they seem fine but another friend suggested I install a vacuum pump on the line to make sure there are no pin holes that I cannot see. The fuel tank is getting vented.
To try another fuel supply can I simply disconnect my fuel line and drop it into a full jerry can?

willy007

Seaman

Did you remove the carbs and check/blow out the jets and passage ways? It doesn't take much to gum or plug up some of these areas and it would restrict the fuel to the engine. Additionally, the ball would remain hard if this were the issue as the fuel pump would just keep pumping. I would agree with Bob, adjusting the carbs is NOT the same as cleaning them and to do a thorough job they should be removed and rebuilt. if you checked all of the lines for leaks or air infiltration my money is that this is where your problem is.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

is this a big bore 140 with 4 carb as it could be a sync/link issue

canadam12

Recruit

is this a big bore 140 with 4 carb as it could be a sync/link issue

Yes it is the big bore looper with 4 carbs.
No, I did not remove and rebuild the carbs. I just ran engine and sprayed in a bottle of carb cleaner.
I will order a carb rebuild kit and do it properly. Wheres the best place to buy a carb kit for this engine?
How do I check for a sync/link issue?
Thanks for all the info.

willy007

Seaman

If a link/sync does not solve your problem you can get carb rebuild kits here at iboats by clicking on the "Boat Parts & Accessories" tab at the top of the page or check out the BRP Parts catalog at this address BRP -- Parts Catalogs and look up your particular motor. Depending on the condition, you may or may not want to get new floats also... some kits come with them and some don't.