ready to start rivets work. need best products recommendations.

Tracker12

Seaman
I've read a lot of post about rivets and sealers. Im ready to drill out old rivets and put in New ones. What is the best rivet to use and what size. I have 96 tracker aluminum boat. What drill bit will I need and what brand of rivet is the best. Please reply if you have done this job. Ib know there's a bill frog company that sells the rivets. But I would like something more affordable. I have a rivet gun, drill and bits as well as Scotch Brite.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: ready to start rivets work. need best products recommendations.

I buy all of my rivets fron Jay Cee's online:

closed end blind rivets

Buy the closed end blind rivets in the link.

As for the size, remove a rivet and measure the diameter of the hole... it's probably a 3/16", but check and make sure.

To remove the rivets, grind the heads off and use a center punch to drive the stem out the other side. Trying to drill out a rivet can be difficult and leaves a lot of room for error if you don't center the rivet with the drill exactly. If you don't center the rivet exactly when drilling you'll elongate the hole and will have to oversize the hole by redrilling the hole the next rivet size up.

Have you performed a leak test on your boat and marked the leaking rivets so you know which ones to replace?