Mercruiser 188hp (Ford 302) junk, Replacement engine?

EasyCapt

Recruit
The engine was running fine today then all of a sudden I heard two pops and the boat lost power and started knocking. Checked spark plugs one was loose, and upon inspection it had gotten hot and almost melted. All plugs pointed towards the engine running lean. I have not taken the valve cover off to see if it dropped a valve or its a rod. The engine has good oil pressure (35-40) at Idle and revvs its still around 60. The engine starts right up, no loss of oil, no metal shavings on dipstick. The oil is not milky either.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I've started looking at a replacement engine. Ive found a few used 188's etc, but what other engines will "Bolt right up" to the MC-1?

Thanks,
Easy

RCAnderson

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser 188hp (Ford 302) junk, Replacement engine?

The only other engine that will 'bolt right up' is a 351. It's a nice upgrade in power, but a bit wider. None of the Chevy blocks will work without some serious remodeling.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 188hp (Ford 302) junk, Replacement engine?

Any SBC or SBF will work with an MC-1, but if you go Chevy you'll have to change the bell-housing, possibly the y-pipe, and move motor mounts, as well as buy all new accessories. I would get a reman 302 or 351 from someone like Rapido Marine if you want to repower it. However, rebuilding your current engine would likely be cheaper. The 302 was 188HP, the 351w was 233HP (or 265HP with a 4bbl carb).

TermytQQ

Cadet
EXPLORER / MUSTANG 5.0L is a excellent upgrade... just need to use a new 5.0 mustang flywheel and harmonic balancer.

Last edited: