I'm reallly frustrated and feel like I was ripped off

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a perfectly good running 89 Nissan 90HP but wanted to get a bigger motor because I felt with all the weight I have on my boat I was underpowered. I decided to sell mine and bought a 2001 Nissan 140HP because I knew that it was the same motor as the 115Hp and if needed I could detune it. When I bought it, it ran great, turned right up and all. Since then I haven't been able to get it on the water. I took it to my local Tohatsu dealership and they told me saferty stuff first , that the cables were nicked and I needed to fix that and that could cause the problem. The control box when I would have to turn it all the way to the top just to get the boat to troll. So they adjusted that as well. The dealer told me that when they ran it, it ran really rough. I have been going to him for years so I trust the guy. We put a new tach because my old tach didn't work and then it turns out the cpu may have something wrong with it because the tach wants to work but won't. So they are saying clean the carbs (to help me save some money instead of them doing it) and they mentioned that they think the stator may be going out and the cpu needs to be changed if I want the tach to work. Then they said the cpu may be the root of everything. I'm confused, frustrated, because in all I have put quite a bit of money and it isn't working. So now I don't know whether just to try get advice through here and try it on my own or just take it back in and have it all done. I don't understand how it worked great when I tried it out but since then it like completely died. I am going to drain all the fuel because it has been in the tank for more than month now. I'm going to check compression but when I bought it we checked and it was all around 150-152. I put new fuel lines, new primer bulb, new fuel pump. I even bought the repair manual but I'm so frustrated I dont even know where to start looking. The guy at the dealership referred me to a guy that has used nissan parts and he said to bring the boat over tommorrow and we will try a different cpu. I don't know I know this isn't a place to vent but I need some sound advice as to where to start.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm reallly frustrated and feel like I was ripped off

If you can test that horse by swapping CPU including other ignition parts go for it, much better than buying blindly a new one to find latter that element was not the culprit of your issues. Good luck!!

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Re: I'm reallly frustrated and feel like I was ripped off

Sounds like you need to take it from the beginning. Verify proper RC box and control cable setup, verify link and sync, run the ignition tests to verify proper operation of the magneto unit.

Don't guess -- diagnose.

If a spare CD is available for a test, cool.