Gear oil in bilge

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
See sig for drivetrain info.

I just replaced my water impeller, so I had drained and refilled the oil in the drive. I used squeeze bottles of 80w-90 oil and squeezed about 1 quart into the drain hole on the front end of the bullet. I squeezed in the oil until my squeeze bottle was giving me excessive resistance and the drive wouldn't take anymore oil.

I then put about 1/3 quart into the top hole into the drive, until the oil level was flush with the hole.

I took the boat on a 1 hour test run. When I pulled the drain plug afterward, about a pint of gear oil drained out. I obviously overfilled it.

Did I do any damage? Did I blow a seal? I find it unsettling that oil exited the front of the drive and traveled through the gimbal bearing and bellows.

I pulled the drain plug on the bullet and the oil was fresh and clean. The top hole was lower than it was when I filled it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear oil in bilge

Aside from filling it wrong and getting away with it,no
you remove the top and bottom plugs to drain it.
To refill: add oil from the bottom hole UNTILL it comes out the top hole.Install top plug, install bottom plug.
I`m guessing you had the leak prior to the pump job are were low on oil to begin with.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its the drive yoke seal thats leaking. Had this happen on mine about 2 months ago. Its probably leaking through the bellows and then down into the bilge. Remove the drive and then the drive shaft and replace the seal.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I imagine you did not do a pressure test after you did your impeller change / drive reassembly? (and you really should invest in a gear oil pump.... about 9 bucks on Amazon).