197? - 21 Dynamaglas Restoration

MuzzikMan

Cadet
Hi guys,

I recently started a resto project that I'm told was to be started by 3 owners before me. The boat and trailer (came separate) are finally titled, which means I feel safe to proceed... well, somewhat safe...lol. It was titled as a 1971 Dynamaglas Cuddy, but after pulling the tank and seeing a stamp of 1977, and inspecting the HIN further - I think it may have been interpreted wrong. Either way, I'm now proud to say I own it, but my wife might have other words she would use. The only person more excited than me is my five year old. I can't wait to have him and his younger brother standing next to me fishing on her someday, on something we worked so hard on.

I'm starting this thread, 1, to post my experiences back for other users who are looking to start their own project, and 2, because I would definitely appreciate any and all advise to keep me on the right track. I've been reading for months (its addicting) and I just want to say thank you to the all the post's and helpful information; without it I would have not felt so inclined to get this project underway.

Both boat and trailer need plenty of work and I know you guys are visual, so I will be posting tons of pictures...
thanks in advance

MuzzikMan

Cadet
Re: 197? - 21 Dynamaglas Restoration

The start of clearing out the boat and getting ready for gutting.

post 6.jpgpost 7.jpgpost 8.jpgpost 9.jpg

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Now for the ugly part. Apparently the previous owners either smoked the engine or started to take it apart and just left it. I have a small block with less than 2000 miles I'm planning to rebuild to marine specs that should turn out pretty nice. It helps to have a master mechanic as your neighbor. :joyous:

post 11.jpgpost 12.jpg

Plus, if that wasn't enough.....

post 13.jpg

MuzzikMan

Cadet

This was about two weeks ago...

post 14.jpgpost 15.jpg

It doesn't look like the cross members were ever protected. Plus the tank compartment had standing water with no drainage hole.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DryDock2.jpg

Looks like you'll need to do a pressure check on that tank as well. Corrosion might have done it in!:eek:
You might find this PDF helpful as you get started on your restoration.

(Click the pic below to view the PDF file)

View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

WelcomeAboard.jpg

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Well, Woodonglass... looks like you called it
I had to pull the tank after seeing your post, and sure enough it has some pretty bad corrosion. As I worked the PB globs off to get it out, I started to smell gas. There was gas in the standing water in the tank compartment and as I pulled it out I saw....

post 16.jpgpost 17.jpgpost 18.jpg

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Ok, so I've read the arguments go back and forth about which type of tank is the better investment. With todays current fuel mix anyone have a different perspective.

Or

Is this something you guys see often? Would you look into to repairing the tank? I have a couple of buddies who weld for a living.....?

P.S. I looked over the PDF, thanks again Woodonglass... and thanks for the welcome!

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Thanks Woodonglass... I just sent them an email. So far it's been pretty tough to swallow, there really hasn't been much I can salvage.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that's the way it goes some times with these old restorations. Kinda Like Forest Gump and that Box of Chocolates.:rolleyes:

MuzzikMan

Cadet

I've decided that if I'm gonna go this far, then I'd like to make some modifications! I don't have many details yet, but I'm looking to go with more of a pilot house style.

MuzzikMan

Cadet

If you guys have any idea's or cautions I'd really like the input.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Modifications are fine but can be tricky as well. The hull's stability can be adversely affected by modifications to the upper structure of the boat. If you make her to tall she'll get tipsy and that's not good on the water. You will need to takes these things into consideration when making your modifications.

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Came home from work and spent about an 2hours cutting and grinding (pictures to follow soon). I'm guessing for anyone who has gone through this process, they've realized this is the low moral part. It has been slow but steady rippin and tearin and it's starting to feel like it will never end.:mad-new:

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Thanks for the input Woodonglass,
I was thinking of just a simple pilot house. Using caution, because height and weight have been major concerns for me... I'm thinking of keeping the front pretty much the same with the exception of making a gradual transition between the front top shell and the pilot house. I'm being cautious not to move to far forward, but also trying to utilize the forward space. My goal is to make a fun fishing boat with an area that has some cover, not to mention a bathroom. With two kids, a wife and some friends who I'd have to listen to once anchored in the bay.... a bathroom started to seem mandatory...lol

MuzzikMan

Cadet

Ok, So I have to ask again because the prices are so staggering.

Is the Aluminum tank that superior over the polyethylene?

I just looked at the quote for a custom aluminum vs. purchasing a poly tank and I'm stunned!!

I just want to make the right choice concerning safety, performance, and longevity.