MerCruiser Steering Problems

Triptropc

Recruit
Hi, I just bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville with a 6 cyl. 4.3L MerCruiser in it. It only has 250 hours total on it and it great shape. The only thing is that the steering is very tough. You need to use to hands to turn it. I thought maybe after a few times out it would get better but i guess not. I dont know anything about boats or motors but I want to try to trouble shoot a few things first. The power steering fluid is full, actually a little to full. I dont know where to start. It is a rack and pinion steering by teleflex. Also when i was looking at all the steering stuff at the motor i saw a big grease build up at one spot so idk if it has a leak or supposed to be like that. Ill attach a few photos but idk if you can see much...Just want to know where to start...thanksIMG_20130618_194628_269.jpgIMG_20130618_194748_689.jpg

Triptropc

Recruit
Re: MerCruiser Steering Problems

i started to follow the instructions today but i couldnt get the coupler off...prolly gonna have to take it somewhere. Anybody have any ideas of what a marina would charge? or any other tips and advice to fix this?

Re: MerCruiser Steering Problems

Marinas' charge by the hour ( $85 around here) so costs can add up fast if they have to remove interior trim etc. They may also replace parts rather than spend time cleaning/repairing them. I also would suspect a corrosion issue ( from lack of use ) as that boat has not been used much over 25 years!