Elgln ID

whatsagm

Seaman
I have an old elgin 5.5 hp. model number 9532 1710 serial 571 59532. what year is this and where can i get points and an impeller. I would really like to get this motor running again. It is damn near mint it was given to me for free.

Thank you for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Elign ID

It is a 1958, Made by West Bend. For impeller, try Water Pump Impellers I don't know offhand what magneto it has so can't say much about points. But if it is as mint as you say it is, the old ones should be salvageable. Take them completely apard, degrease them, and polish each contact shiny bright. Reassemble and set gap to .020"

whatsagm

Seaman

Thank you for your quick response. I have Wico ign system in this outboard. My concern is where to find a condenser. I know the points can cleaned. I also have seen you can put OMC coils in these engines.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Elgln ID

First try it with the existing condensers. If not there are sites where you can get replacements. I've used regular OMC condensers on my Scotts / Firestones (with WICO ignitions). You may have to mount them differently but I do believe they will work.