Help please with Yamaha/ Mariner 8hp

Help!

I've got a (1977 I think) Mariner 8 hp (I say I think because the serial number -S 28181- which I found on the starboard side of the mounting clamps doesn't match to any identification numbers I've found on line. Other identifying marks I've found are as follows; on the cyclder head there is a Yamaha symbol the three tuning forks in a circle) and the number 65500, which is also on the side of the block. there is also a sticker that reads; "Made in Japan for Mariner International Co. Fond du Lac Wis. USA".

I suspect from all of this that it is one of the early Mariners made by Yamaha. I've also looked at schematics and it seems closest to a 1977 but like I said I can't match the number to any database I've found.

So the first question is; Can anyone help me identify what exactly I've got for the purpose of oderering parts?

Which leads to my second question; where the heck do I get parts? Assuming it is a 1977 Yamaha/ Mariner; the parts sources I've seen on line don't have many or most of the key parts. The motor seems well taken care of and in good shape it would be a heartbraker if it had to be retired cause I can'f find a $4.00 part. I've got an older Eska which is a real POS compared to this motor and I have NO PROBLEM finding parts for it. A source of parts would be a huge help.

Finally, here's my real problem. I bought this motor from someone who had not used it in four years. It ran well on the first run a 'shake down' run of about 45 minutes. It ran well the first time I went actually fishing too but when I got home I noticed somtehing (it appeared to be oil) running out of the little plastic cover that grants access to the shift linkage. This cove though is above the lower unit which if I understand correctly means that it would likely be coming from above.... perhaps fuel mixture? It appeared to be a light oil like 5 weight but in hindsight it could easily been a mixture od fuel mis, water and exhaust gunk from inside the leg.

When I put the motor in the down position that same fluid then ran out of the vent holes that are just above the cavitation plate and below the nuts that hold the lower unit to the leg (although I don't know if these vent holes are sealed off from the lower unit or not). I stood the unit up and took off the lower oil fill screw and the fluid that came out looked good to me... no sign of water and a greenish oil.

So what the heck am I seeing? Is it possible that the carb is overflowing into the leg? The motor ran fine the whole time and never seemed flooded so I am lost.

Well thats it, I'd appreciate help with identifying the motor and finding a place to order parts as well as an idead of what's happening with the motor.

Thanks so much for all help it is greatly appreciated,

Jim

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Help please with Yamaha/ Mariner 8hp

The s/n you have given is not complete. If it is in the year range you suspect, there should be a 677 or 655 in front of the -S 28181. Let me know if you can see those numbers and we can get the parts list for you. You won't find it on the Maxrules site as those are just for American built Mariners. Yours is a Japanese, Yamaha engine built for Mariner.

Gerry

okay so if the serial number is 655-28181 where can I get parts..... every where I've looked for parts everything shows as 'obsolete'.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the help.

It's a little dissapointing that there isn't a single source to go to for parts.

Is there a good chance I'm going to have to rummage through parts motors to get parts?

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is it you are looking for?

Gerry

Not looking for a specific part at the moment.... I'm more dissapointed that it's going to be difficult to get parts.

I am soliciting opinions of what I saw coming out of the middle unit, looked like a real lightweight oil but now I think it was water and Fuel mix.... I checked the oil in the lower unit and it seems fine and I saw no evidence of water in the lower unit (I just removed the lower dranin screw and checked the oil that came out; if I should check the lower unit another way, please let me know).

If it was water (which is supposed to be there) and fuel mix (which is not) the question is; "how did the fuel mix (again, if thats what it was) get there. The motor ran fine so there's no evidence that the carb was flooding. I did notice that the gas tank was 'sucking in' like it was pressurizing, maybe it is pushing fuel into the carb and the carb overflowed and the mix got by an old gasket and into the middle unit. I'm looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Jim

carholme

Rear Admiral

If the fuel tank is sucking in as you say, do you have the vent open?

Are you sure that the mixture you are seeing is not just exhaust residue? Should be able to tell by smelling it.

Checking the LU oil the way you described is just fine.

Gerry