How to best clean twist throttle grip

cgodfrey

Seaman Apprentice
Throttle grip for my OMC-built Gale. Pretty dingy, and the dirt feels very, shall we say, set-in. Surprisingly, the grip isn't the same hard plastic as the waffle and ribbed pattern ones used later, it feels a bit softer, and more porous.

Dishsoap and a scrubby sponge is my first instinct, but would like to hear if anyone out there has nailed this one.

galegrip.jpg

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to best clean twist throttle grip

I've cleaned dirty plastic with WD-40 with good results. It doesn't work on all plastic but it's worth a try. Brake cleaner is another option but if you try that, just dab it on a small area first to make sure it doesn't eat the plastic.

nwcove

Admiral

jmo...but i would not recommend using any aerosol spray products on it. good old soap/water and a soft bristle brush will bring it back as good as you will ever get it.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

castrol super-clean

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

brake cleaner will melt certain plastics. do not use it.

I would use 409. I havent found anything it doesnt clean.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I pour some gasoline in a coffee can and get a parts cleaning brush. Disassemble it, entirely and scrub it down. If there are any plastic bushings, carefully remove them and remove any corrosion build up, where they were, because that corrosion makes the plastic parts squeeze tight against the moving parts, therefore making them hard to wist. The older tiller handles had brass bushings and this typically wasn't an issue.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I use Clorox bleach. Just a little bit on a shop cloth or paper towel. Doesn't seem to hurt anything and gets out the "deep" dirt.