should I be using a "transom saver"?

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1964 starcraft runabout, when trailering i just use a piece of 2x4 to give the motor just enough ground clearance, i dont feel comfortable towing with the motor on the tilt lock. Ive heard about these "transom saver" brackets and most boat manufacturers dont recommend them, however, some do, so im looking forward to hearing your opinions. I know thier not to expensive wally world has one i just dont know if there worth it.

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: should I be using a "transom saver"?

Anything that takes the pressure off the transom when traveling is a good thing. Every bump in the road will put stress on your transom without something holding up your lower leg.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I understand what your saying, but the way i look at it is that there is much more force on the transom while the boat is underway, but i figure those bumps must be pretty harsh on the transom

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would buy or make my own transom saver. Before buying (or making), do crawl under the boat and take a few basic measurements. Not all Transom saver bars are the same. re: Some are fixed position and some are adjustable. Some bolt onto trailer's underside cross bar and some pressure fit against rear center roller.

If wondering, I made my own transom saver bar for fractional cost of store bought product. If "good with a welder", I'd recommend making your own as well. re:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/Boat Pictures/IMG_0019.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/Boat Pictures/IMG_0010.jpg

Hope this helps...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you are bracing the motor against the trailer then make sure the boat aint moving at all.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are bracing the motor against the trailer then make sure the boat aint moving at all.
Well right now I use a cut down piece of 2x4 wedged in the tilt bracket. The transom saver pretty much just supports the motor.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Howdy xj; I myself highly recommend a transom saver. You are right about the force being exerted on your transom while she's in the water, however she is in her element then doing exactly what she was designed for, to deliver boat loads of fun. When we are transporting our ladies to & from the lakes she is out if her element. Thats were transom savers shine, as it lets the trailer take the schock instead of our transoms. One other thing I recomend if you run s/s prop would get a saver with a built in prop lock. Happy & safe boating:welcome:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Surprised this thread hasn't degenerated into a 'transom saver' thread yet! At least in my opinion, if you need a transom saver, it is pure negligence putting that unseaworthy boat on the water. Engine forces at WOT combined with waves are many, many magnitudes higher than what happens going down the road. If there is even a hint of a transom failing from road forces, its not safe on the water, period.

There is one exception... Smaller engines that don't have tilt/trim and only have a manual catch to hold the engine up. I wouldn't trust those to actually hold, so a transom saver will ensure the engine stays where its suppose to. In that case, it has nothing to do with the transom, and all about keeping your skeg from bouncing down the pavement.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To add some to smokingcraters post above - My motor came with a tilt lock and because a "defloppenizer" was never used by POs, the tilt lock pieces are laying beside a road somewhere. That tells me that a bouncing motor can't be good. My skeg is only about 6 inches off the ground without a T/S, so a good speed bump could cause damage.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1964 starcraft runabout, when trailering i just use a piece of 2x4 to give the motor just enough ground clearance, i dont feel comfortable towing with the motor on the tilt lock. Ive heard about these "transom saver" brackets and most boat manufacturers dont recommend them, however, some do, so im looking forward to hearing your opinions. I know thier not to expensive wally world has one i just dont know if there worth it.

I too am with the "defloppenizer" crowd. While it is true the engine exerts force(s) while running in the water, why would you neglect it while trailering it around? Any movement translates to fatigue on something. Everything is only going to work for "X" many cycles before it breaks...period! It is actually called MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), and if you stop that movement, you increase the longevity of those fatiguing parts. That can be engine parts and/or transom parts. Either way, stop movement where you can and make things last just that much longer. It is a no-brainer... For a great example, bent a piece of stranded wire back and forth for a time and see what WILL happen to the wire...and you can do that exact same experiment with most any material too... Point made...enough said! :joyous:

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right, so im pretty sure a transom saver is in my boats future. Thanks for all the imput guys.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

So just picked up a transom saver from walmart, so i get home and inspect it some and read this, " fits all outboard motors, motor must have power tilt and trim for this product to work" why would it say this? I dont see any issue using it with my manual tilt and trim motor.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Product liability. If you drop the motor on your head, they will ask if you read the instructions and warnings. Mine said something about NOT for power TnT. Go ahead and use it.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, that makes sense the way people are nowadays, i knew it had to be something stupid. Ill probably be rigging it up tomorrow.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you bought the same one I did you may want to make a trip to Lowes or Homedepot for a locking pin with wire clasp. That stupid little slotted pin is a nightmare waiting to happen.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

It came with a pin with the wire clasp, mabey they upgraded?