Easily Removable Swim Platform

SDSeville

Lieutenant
As you can see from the pics, I am about 18" short of the storage space I need on my side yard -- my pool equipment is in the way on one side. I have been removing one of the swim platforms every time to get it to fit.

It can be a pain removing 9 bolts and pulling the platform every time I put my boat away (I like to put it in the side yard between weekend trips). Any ideas on how I can rig up something to make removing and installing it easier?

swim plat2.jpgswim plat1.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Easily Removable Swim Platform

And pictures from below? I'm thinking hinge & clevis pins. No need to remove it if you can swivel it up.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

And pictures from below? I'm thinking hinge & clevis pins. No need to remove it if you can swivel it up.

That would be great if it is doable! Here is a pic of the other platform from below.

swim plat3.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

from OUTSIDE the box I see only two viable options... best one would be to move the pool equipment and my second choice would be to toss the second platform in the attic and seal the holes... you only need one anyhow

EDIT: A third option just came to mind... grab some used railroad ties and buils a retaining wall. Then have a truckload of soil or gravel brought in to raise the boat so that the platform clears the top of the pool stuff

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, if you could rig it up like a Malibu platform then you would have only 2 pins to pull and then the platform would lift up off the brackets. I'd look at that type of system and see if there is a way to adapt it.

Removing bolts that go through the transom isn't a good plan since you would have to reseal them each time they were installed. If you haven't been resealing them then I hate to see what your transom looks like inside.

fishrdan

Admiral

Well, if you could rig it up like a Malibu platform then you would have only 2 pins to pull and then the platform would lift up off the brackets.

That's probably the easiest over the long run, but would be pretty spendy. I looked into that type of bracket, but decided to cobble up something myself. (still cobblin....)

How's about this... Replace the screws with SS hanger bolts epoxied into the transom, then it would only be 9 nuts to remove (and the holes would be sealed permanently).

oldjeep

Admiral

That's probably the easiest over the long run, but would be pretty spendy. I looked into that type of bracket, but decided to cobble up something myself. (still cobblin....)

How's about this... Replace the screws with SS hanger bolts epoxied into the transom, then it would only be 9 nuts to remove (and the holes would be sealed permanently).

Malibu brackets are a lot simpler than those Nautique brackets you linked to. Wish I could find a picture

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Well, if you could rig it up like a Malibu platform then you would have only 2 pins to pull and then the platform would lift up off the brackets. I'd look at that type of system and see if there is a way to adapt it.

Removing bolts that go through the transom isn't a good plan since you would have to reseal them each time they were installed. If you haven't been resealing them then I hate to see what your transom looks like inside.

That is what is such a pain. Resealing with 5200 every time....

How about SS bolts epoxied in with SS wing nuts and lock washers?

oldjeep

Admiral

That is what is such a pain. Resealing with 5200 every time....

Why not just leave them off and install a drop down boarding ladder? The type of platform you have (like what is on my boat) is pretty useless for anything but entering the boat anyways.

fishrdan

Admiral

Malibu brackets are a lot simpler than those Nautique brackets you linked to. Wish I could find a picture

Yeah, I just posted up the first removable bracket I found, lots of different designs out there.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Why not just leave them off and install a drop down boarding ladder? The type of platform you have (like what is on my boat) is pretty useless for anything but entering the boat anyways.

I have three kids and they always bring a friend or 2 so both platforms get used a lot. Leaning towards epoxying the bolts in so I at least don't have to reseal every time.

fishrdan

Admiral

How about SS bolts epoxied in with SS wing nuts and lock washers?

Thru-bolting and epoxying the bolts in, with exposed threads to nut onto, that would work, kind of over-kill. Hanger bolts would screw into the existing holes, would be easier to install, kind of serves the purpose better. I'm not a fan of wing nuts, easier, but not as secure. I'd use SS nylock nuts.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mount it on a SS piano hinge and change the lower braces to jointed rods. Pull one end of the rod joint and everything folds down flat.
Like oldjeep suggested the ski boats use quick release brackets that work very well on much bigger decks. That is a possibility also.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Thru-bolting and epoxying the bolts in, with exposed threads to nut onto, that would work, kind of over-kill. Hanger bolts would screw into the existing holes, would be easier to install, kind of serves the purpose better. I'm not a fan of wing nuts, easier, but not as secure. I'd use SS nylock nuts.

That makes sense Dan. ...now that I actually know what a hangar bolt is. Didn't know till I clicked on the link n your post.

Mount it on a SS piano hinge and change the lower braces to jointed rods. Pull one end of the rod joint and everything folds down flat.
Like oldjeep suggested the ski boats use quick release brackets that work very well on much bigger decks. That is a possibility also.

I like the Piano hinge idea too. I will see what one of those would cost.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I found stainless steel piano hinges at Home Depot. I think I will give that a try. What would be stronger -- having it fold up or down? Also, I was thinking about thru-bolting it rather than using the small screws the hinge comes with. Any suggestions?

I am going to epoxy hangar bolts for the bottom braces. This way I will only have to remove 2 nuts every time I put the boat away. ...and with the hangar bolts, i will not have to reseal every time.

hostage

Lieutenant

Here are my suggestions:

1) Get rid of the pool

2) Store the boat in the pool.

:)

I would not want to touch anything that could leak water into your transom. You could always try to get those ~$45 ramps from wally world and drive your boat up on i to see if that clears the pool stuff.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Here are my suggestions:

1) Get rid of the pool

2) Store the boat in the pool.

:)

I would not want to touch anything that could leak water into your transom. You could always try to get those ~$45 ramps from wally world and drive your boat up on i to see if that clears the pool stuff.

I like #2 :lol:

The ramps would work, but I have enough trouble wedging this thing in with only about 10" of clearance on each side. I am thinking that once I get this all finished, I will not be messing with the transom any more. The hinge and hangar bolts will stay sealed and bolted. I will just remove 2 nuts and fold the platform up or down.

Regarding the transom -- this boat has a 3 piece transom. The 2 small side pieces (that the swim platforms attach to) are not connected to the large main transom piece (which is only 18 months old) that supports the drive and everything.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hostage, you are brilliant. :D
#2 is classic

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/3893086573.html

Came across these brackets on craigslist today and thought of your thread. I don't know who makes them but they're pretty slick.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/3893086573.html

Came across these brackets on craigslist today and thought of your thread. I don't know who makes them but they're pretty slick.

Thanks Jonny. Those look perfect. I may contact that guy and see if he would ship them. ...or tell me where to buy them.