should this turn me off

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at a 1990 Bayliner Capri with a Force 120HP outboard. Seems to be a bunch of negative feedback on them. What is everyone's thoughts on this motor. Can I get parts? is it reliable? will the 120 be a fuel pig moving a 18' cuddy? ok for water sports? thanks guys

Sarentack

Seaman
Re: should this turn me off

on one forum everyone seems to bash the Bayliners.

But talking with mechanics and actual owners of them, they seem to be not so bad, motors are good, boats are ok, its more so a budget boat than anything though.

The only real issues with the Bayliners is figuring out the motors when its time to fix them and it can cost money if you dont know the precise problem.

Jiggz

Captain

If there is anything I love about Force engine is the simplicity of maintenance and repairing them. On the otherhand I really hate Force parts because they are really hard to find and very expensive when found. If you are mechanically incline Force is the way to go.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I have twin 88/85s and never had a problem that couldn't be fixed.
They aren't too bad on fuel.
If it's set up right and it's maintained it will last a long time.
Making sure the oils mixed right,The lower unit has no water.
The carbs are set right and the motors gonna last last a long time.
My Bayliner is a good boat.
They were mass produced but with quality parts.
If the price is something you like? Get it.
But do a compression test.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

UH! If you need to worry about fuel consumption, you can't afford any boat! Yeah, old school design crossflow engines use more fuel than later designed loop charged competitors, but if you are using 100 bucks of fuel a day, what is the difference between 100 and 105?