1985 85 Evinrude? Good motor?

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at buying a boat with one. Says runs good. 15 foot 1985 bass boat with this motor for 2000$.

Will this motor cost more to maintain than the other boat I'm looking at? A 1974 25 hp evinrude? Or size of engine doesn't matter?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 85 Evinrude? Good motor?

Since we have no idea what 1985 Evinrude motor this boat has nobody can answer your question. It really doesn't matter which make or model engine you have it has been abused by the previous owner it will not be a good engine. If it has been meticulously cared for it can still fail. You need to do your own checking. On water tests are essential to verify how it runs and that everything works. If you are not mechanically inclined, you need to have a shop do this checking for you. If the owner says "all it needs is a tune-up", they usually mean the engine is toast. If that's all it needed. they would have had the work done. NEVER take someones word that this is a good boat. Unless of course you are a risk taker and can afford to buy a dud.

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stand corrected. It's a 1978 85 horsepower. The other boat we're looking at is a 1974 25 horsepower. Both claim to run great and will show me they run great on the water. However, not mechanically inclined.

This is a stupid question, but does the bigger motor mean more trouble or repair costs?

nyx2k

Cadet

bigger is not always more expensive on parts or fuel.
if hes willing to put it in the water and let it run at high throttle for an hour that would allay most of my worries

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been talking to seller this evening. It's a 1978 85 hp motor. Runs great, no issues.

Taking it on lake for test drive. Has after market power trim too. Said it will push the boat at 50 mph plus on the bass boat.

He said it has an inboard fuel tank that you mix the oil in the tank. Does this mean its two cycle???

V153

Lieutenant Commander

1985 would be better cuz that's prop rated hp, vs the '78 being crankshaft rated. But both are great motors, that design has been around forever. The V-4 crossflow block is my personal favorite for my application(s).

If the seller is willing to water test that's a big plus. But I would still at least do a compression test, cold AND hot while you have the opportunity. Mebbe check the gearcase oil? 'Sides that there ain't a whole lot to em.

Imo additional horsepower is like money in the bank. Nobody says ya gotta blow it all at once, but when the need arises it's nice to have. Provided the boat it's on isn't a pos ...

Good luck!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest you personally take a compression check before purchase. Don't trust the seller to give you the numbers. That engine probably had 125 lbs compression on each cyl when new.

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for the response. Basically they're selling it because its gotten hardly any use past few years. He's going to put new plugs in tomorrow. It's on a nice 15' bass boat.

This is good to hear about the motor. Sounds like the 78 Evinrude is a good motor at 85 hp. We don't have a compressn tester, but he is comfortable lake running it for as long as needed.

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm getting the boat, motor, and trailer for $2000. It was just listed this week.

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sincerely appreciate our help