1957 Alumacraft/Johnson motor rebuild

christd

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone worked on a starter like this. It from a 1956 Johnson 35.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson Electric Starter

That doesn't look like a starter. It looks like a relay box.
In the second picture the item on the right is a starter solenoid, the item on the left appears to be a voltage regulator.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The relay box is a voltage regulator. The round deal is a starter solenoid. The starter is the electric motor mounted on the engine.

lindy46

Captain

That's a 12 volt solenoid, so must be from a '57+ motor, with a generator to charge the battery.

christd

Cadet
Re: 1957 Alumacraft/Johnson motor rebuild

Does anyone know if I can replace that generator?

christd

Cadet

Hi, starting to replace the transom. Decided to drill the rivets out of the brackets and remove as described in another post on this site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

christd

Cadet

These are some pics of the old outside transom. I noticed that there was cork on this side as well. I know my Dad replaced this in the late 70's and maybe he decided to do this. From what I read the cork was only on the inside. Is that right? Also, i was understanding to replace the outside with marine plywood and the inside is white oak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

Ulbricht Nicht

Recruit

I was wondering if anyone worked on a starter like this. It from a 1956 Johnson 35.

Unlike many of the other posters here I have no idea what many of the parts are. On the other hand, I have sent dozens of parts in worse shape than what you show here out to be repaired and I have seen them come back looking almost the same (Except for the corrosion and scale) but in great working condition.

With that said, I strongly suggest that you find all of the 'Motor repair and rewinding' shops in your area and find the one that seems the friendliest and least 'bothered' by smaller projects like these. Shops that re-manufacture existing parts for industrial machines like lathes and mills can really get into smaller projects like these sometimes. They might do for thirty dollars what would cost you hundreds from a 'vintage parts dealer' if the parts that you are looking for have become 'high demand' items.

I am sorry that I was unable to identify what the parts really are but I hope that you will find the re-build shops helpful in your endeavors.

Regards

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just finished a rebuild of the entire electrical relay box and the starter itself. Check out my posts, mine looks almost exactly the same. My engine is a '59 Johnson 50HP.
Dave