New Chaparral 196 SSI WT engine options

djplourd

Recruit
I plan to order a 2014 Chaparral 196 SSI this summer for delivery next spring. There are five different engine options but my choice is really down to just two: Mercury 4.3L MPI (Catalyst) Alpha 220hp and the Volvo V6L V6-225 SX 225hp.

Given this choice, which one would you choose and why?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: New Chaparral 196 SSI WT engine options

Assuming the same price, I'd choose the Merc because I know how to work on the drive already. Really only thing that matters is which platform has more local service/parts available, or which one do you want to work on.

TilliamWe

Banned

My choice is the highest HP/engine displacement you can get. Is that a 4.3 V6?

So really you're asking about Mercruiser Alpha drive vs. VP SX drive, since the motors are the same, basically. In that case, I'd go with the VP SX, since it's a cone clutch drive, and the impeller pump is on the engine, not in the lower unit.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I would order the Mercruiser 5.0L MPI (Cat)@ 260 H.P. over either of those V6's. Upcharge is not that much more, and performance will be better overall, so will re-sale.

djplourd

Recruit

Assuming the same price, I'd choose the Merc because I know how to work on the drive already. Really only thing that matters is which platform has more local service/parts available, or which one do you want to work on.

I live in Northern VA so while there are probably more mercury services around there are still plenty of volvo ones as well. I can some basic maintenance myself but I'll have a service location take care of the majority.

djplourd

Recruit

I would order the Mercruiser 5.0L MPI (Cat)@ 260 H.P. over either of those V6's. Upcharge is not that much more, and performance will be better overall, so will re-sale.

If I go up there's also a Volvo V8L V8270C (Catalyst) available but I assume you'd still recommend the Mercruiser 5.OL? I'd love to go with either of the bigger engines but it depends on the total cost. I'm already exceeding my intended budget with the 196 since I was originally looking at a Chaparral H2O 19 Sport. If I can get one of them at a price I'm comfortable with I'll go for it.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

When we bought our new boat last year. We had the choice between a V6 and the 5.OL V8. The price difference was maybe $2K difference. Glad we chose the V8. It gets about the same fuel burn as the V6, and does not have to work as hard. I have had Volvo and Merc in our 4 boats. This one has a Merc and I am very happy with it. Still not sold on if VP has fixed their fuel pump issues yet.

oldjeep

Admiral

If I go up there's also a Volvo V8L V8270C (Catalyst) available but I assume you'd still recommend the Mercruiser 5.OL? I'd love to go with either of the bigger engines but it depends on the total cost. I'm already exceeding my intended budget with the 196 since I was originally looking at a Chaparral H2O 19 Sport. If I can get one of them at a price I'm comfortable with I'll go for it.

IF you are looking to stay in a budget, then ordering one is the worst thing you can do. Just be patient and wait until the end of the season, look around at all the dealers within a couple hundred miles and make a deal on one that is still sitting on their lot.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

IF you are looking to stay in a budget, then ordering one is the worst thing you can do. Just be patient and wait until the end of the season, look around at all the dealers within a couple hundred miles and make a deal on one that is still sitting on their lot.

+1. That is what we did. Saved a lot of money too.

robopath

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same choice about 3 months ago. After talking to service managers at a few local shops, I went with the Volvo V6-225 non-cat. Reason being: less weight, less things to go wrong, and less knowledge in the field on the "new" technology. We are at the end of the line for the non-cat engines, the manufacturers can only make a small percentage each year so they are usually snapped up very early in the season cycle. The fact that you are pre-ordering is the likely reason that you have a choice. Do a quick search on cats vs non-cat and you can read the pros and cons of each. Good luck with your choice and new boat.

This article is a few years old but has some good info:
PROS and CON-verters

jkust

Rear Admiral

If you are buying brand new then to me you are getting less boat where as you could get more boat if it were say a year or two old. As for the 4.3liter, I'm of the opinion that the 4.3 MPI will be adequate but that's it. My Chap weighs almost what yours will weigh and I really feel I should have gotten the 270hp 5.0mpi option instead of the 4.3. Of course back then MPI was still brand new and not being taken up as often. I'll comment too on the H2o series, I feel they are substantially cheapened as compared to the SSI models in response to the economic slow down. They cut the dry weights and the max hp is only 225 on the small ones. All that said the market and reviews love the H2O.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

When I ordered my boat they had 2 in the showroom just like it, but neither one had ALL of the options I wanted, and both had some options that I didn't want.

By ordering it I was able to personally communicate with the factory to have some special things done, and I basically got a custom made boat 100% to my specifications. My intent was to keep it a long time, so why should I accept anything less?

By giving the dealer a 50% cash deposit he was able to order it in with no bank charges, and thus HE saved money. My OTD price was the same as the "ugly" ones on the showroom.

oldjeep

Admiral

When I ordered my boat they had 2 in the showroom just like it, but neither one had ALL of the options I wanted, and both had some options that I didn't want.

By ordering it I was able to personally communicate with the factory to have some special things done, and I basically got a custom made boat 100% to my specifications. My intent was to keep it a long time, so why should I accept anything less?

By giving the dealer a 50% cash deposit he was able to order it in with no bank charges, and thus HE saved money. My OTD price was the same as the "ugly" ones on the showroom.

Point was about his budget being a consideration. You can easily take 15-20% off a boat if you buy it right before winter.

agallant80

Commander

I don't agree with ordering the V8 I think the V6 will be more than enough, I have the 4.3MPI with Alpha in my 2011 stingray 215LR and it did just fine and more than I expected. With that said and I hate to admit this I would get the 5.0 because its not much more and by the way most people think 8 is better than 6 and it will be worth more when I go to sell it. Get the 5.0.

TilliamWe

Banned

I don't agree with ordering the V8 I think the V6 will be more than enough, I have the 4.3MPI with Alpha in my 2011 stingray 215LR and it did just fine and more than I expected. With that said and I hate to admit this I would get the 5.0 because its not much more and by the way most people think 8 is better than 6 and it will be worth more when I go to sell it. Get the 5.0.

Not much of a comparison between your Stingray and this Chaparral. Chap doesn't have the same hull design and weighs more. The V6 would be adequate, as stated above. The 5.0 would be better.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Not much of a comparison between your Stingray and this Chaparral. Chap doesn't have the same hull design and weighs more. The V6 would be adequate, as stated above. The 5.0 would be better.

Agreed that it is tough to compare from boat to boat and hull to hull. Chap and Stingray are as opposite as they come. Regardless, the 4.3 is surprisingly capable even when pushing heavy loads. If I had a do over, I'd have gotten the biggest possible.

agallant80

Commander

You are right they are not the same the stingray clocks in at 3705lbs the Chap clocks in at 3100. So you are right the 605Lbs less that the chap weighs would require the extra HP of the V8.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Point was about his budget being a consideration. You can easily take 15-20% off a boat if you buy it right before winter.

I DID buy it right before winter. Point was that I had a custom order for a "new" boat and got the same price as a floor model last-year's leftover. The key to ordering a boat is to give the dealer enough cash incentive that he'll order it and accept a minimal profit because he didn't have to borrow money to do it, but he know's you'll be back as a service customer later.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

IMO, if the drive options are a Merc Alpha One or a Volvo SX, get the Volvo package. If a Merc Bravo drive enters the equation, then either Mercruiser or Volvo is a fine choice.

And my line of reasoning is the same as TilliamWe's in post #3.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I agree completely. Boattrader.com makes it easy to find specific brands of popular boats--like the Chapparal. Dealers would rather sell them close to cost versus having to pay floorplan charges from September until March or April--when the sales pickup.

Another suggestion would be to wait until January for the local boat shows. Manufacturers often put out freebies to the dealers that participate in boat shows--extended warranties, discounted options, etc. Also, when you get a bunch of competitive dealers under one roof, selling prices can come down.

I've had a couple of inboard outboards, and had mixed mechanical experience. But I switched to a Yamaha outboard the first year they came into the U.S. retail market and spent $240 in repairs in 27 years' of good usage. I'm now running a new F150 Yamaha on a 24' tritoon boat, and it's really honey. If you're boat is available in outboard version, that would be my preference with the largest motor it's rated for. It'll run circles around the I/O, and you won't have to worry with corrosion in salt water or brackish water I/O's are famous for.