Help with potential new boat.

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone. My wife and I are going to be having our first child so soon the tin can will need to be upgraded. Additionally we have become fond of watersports and the non fishing sides of boating (my cousin has a bow rider we use with him often) My budget is limited so my selection is limited. My Jeep is rated to tow 2000LB so I will be looking for storage on or at the water. I have a 14 foot fishing boat (3 bench style) with a 2003 merc 15hp 4stroke on trailer in good condition to sell to boost the budget a bit. We are looking for something in good shape that we can still use for fishing, as well as watersports and pleasure boating. I live in Windsor Ontario and boat mainly the Detroit river. Something larger will open up lake St. Clair and Erie plus I won't need to be so afraid of weather and boat wakes in the river. Long story short we want something that can fish the shallow weed beds for bass the deeper rougher water for walleye and can pull a tube/wakeboard without too much trouble or $$$. I need to be able to handle it myself but still take a few people out. I like outboards so I can get the motor out of the weeds.

What do you guys think of this one?
1990 18' Bayliner with cuddy cabin - Windsor Region Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Windsor Region Canada.

Might be better for a kid/family

Or should I stick to a bow rider?

Also have heard Bayliner horror stories. any suggestions how to take a close enough look. (stringers/transom checking tips maybe)

Thanks guys

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Help with potential new boat.

floors replaced new interior

I'd make sure that you check the stringers and transom really well since they felt the need to replace the floors. I'd also be looking at how they replaced them. What kind of motor is that?

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Going to go see it tomorrow but it looks to be the Merc/Force that came on them. Will take a look at how/where/when/why the floor was done. any tips to get at the stringers, how to tell if they are good?

tpenfield

Staff member

I would go with a cuddy cabin that has a porta-pottie for family boating. The larger/newer bowriders may have a porta-pottie, but in the older boats, it is more likely limited to cuddies.

You will have to stick your head in places not meant to be seen in order to get a good look at the stringers, You can look in the ski locker and any compartments forward. Also make note if it a replaced floor or just another layer of flooring. If it is 2 layers, you should probably pass on this boat.. Also check the transom for cracks, soft spots, etc.

Bring a flashlight with you and use your iPhone to take pictures in the places that you cannot really see well. Look for darkened areas along the stringers, exposed wood. A sharp screw driver or ice pick are good to check for spot spots & rot.

oldjeep

Admiral

Going to go see it tomorrow but it looks to be the Merc/Force that came on them. Will take a look at how/where/when/why the floor was done. any tips to get at the stringers, how to tell if they are good?

Reach down into the ski locker and jab them with a screwdriver. If it is a force, then I would just walk away.

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

GREAT IDEA WITH THE PHONE. Thanks for the info guys. No idea if it will plan out but for this area that seems like a good deal if its in good shape. Not to many with the outboard. and I can probably get it for 1.5-2k after I sell mine

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well that's crappy lol. I though they were still available through the merc dealer. glad it was mentioned.

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys ill keep posted as I learn more. not the end of the world if it don't work out. always good deals in the fall. just like the idea of an OB don't see it often

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I would recommend against a cabin and a head on a boat under 24 feet. neither is necessary; you lose room and add weight and cost; no one sits in the cabin.

Sine you'll have a little one look for something with high freeboard. And of course lots of open space (which is not the traditional bowrider). A bay-boat hull, semi-V or flat boat like a carolina skiff would be perfect. ALso a boat like the old late 70's 16" starcraft, dual console and bow seating with an outboard. That would be a good step-up from a 14' jon without a big investment (and is what my family did when I was growing up--but keep the jon boat!). very seaworthy hull for wakes and unexpected weather (unlike bowriders).

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Great move with the cuddy. Forget skiffs and bays as you mentioned Lake Erie. I ran charters on Erie for years. A cuddy is a great family and fishing boat . No reason for an open boat unless you are going offshore to chase much bigger fish than you will encounter. A 12 volt fan in the cuddy ( I have one on the dash too) does wonders. The ride is dry and offers shade, more than a t-top or bimini for young people or those fair skinned. Also, your season can be extended as they are a much warmer ride! I fish all year in NC but we get some cool days/. Even a 45 degree temp at 25 - 40 mph hitting straight on-- my fishing friends are very happy with the cuddy.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You want a cuddy with high freeboard?
I would check out older Starcraft Islanders. Decent cabin with a pottie for the kiddies and wife. Lots of space out back on the 22 foot models.
And no rotten stringers.

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. Originally thought an aluminum fishNski around 18" would be perfect. Don't want more than 19" we like my cousins late 80's 18" dorel bowrider just don't like that the barley enough 70 on the back is sluggish and has no power tilt trim. a pottie is not important to us where we go there are facilities close by and a small potty is below the sides for a child anyway. I personally have no use for the cuddy I just figure it gives the wife/child a spot to get out of the son for a few min. Can still get on top for casting and at that size it wont be too bad of a fuel pig when we go play I would think. As for season I fish ice out to ice in every year in a tin can so im not too worried. Some extra freebord is nice with little ones. doesn't need to be massive as they need to be under control and supervised at all times but some extra obstacle is nice. sure no bass boat though.

boatabing12

Recruit

I went through 3 surveys to find a boat that wasnt rotten. Cost a pretty penny unfortunately. In the long run it saved me from having stringers redone. My advice, get dirty and bang on those stringers with a hammer, ballpine if you have one, once you here a hollow sound you know that section is rotten.

rogerwa

Commander

If i am not mistaken the Force outboard, even the ones branded my Merc, are essentially the old Chrysler outboards. On the merc branded models, the legs are updated merc, but the powerhead is still the old Chrysler technology of the 70's. While simple to work on, my experience is that they are underpowered and smelly, smoky. I sold my 50hp force over 10 years ago and had to scrounge for parts then..

pckeen

Commander

I'm close to your situation family wise (3 Young kids). I have an 18 foot Starcraft Holiday with a 90 on the back. Click on the Naden link below and you can see pictures. Kids like hiding underneath the bow cap, and lots of room for a family. Nice high freeboard, so no worries about kids falling overboard.

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys. love all the input. should have remembered FORCE - F$#$in Old Rebadged Chrysler Engine lol Ill call around and see what my local dealers have available. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. ill pick at the stringers as best I can. still concerned about getting access to them enough to tell but im not afraid to get dirty