Carpet padding

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After watching a fishing show where they were talking all about their Ranger Bass Boat, and how the casting decks were padded under the carpet, I was out fishing.

Spent the majority of the day bare foot on my front casting deck (plywood with Home Depot outdoor carpet) my feet got quite sore. I thought to myself, hmmm that padding sounds nice right about now.

I have a new blank canvas of a boat and will be building a new casting deck for the bow. Anyone know of a good product for a thin padding to put under the carpet? And if I do, how would I best attach the carpet over the padding?

My level of interior work is plywood with fiberglass over it. Carpet glued down to that. I plan to use marine specific carpet this time, and am looking for carpet that won't get snagged by a fishing hook as easy as the Home Depot stuff does.

Thanks for any ideas!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Carpet padding

How about using hydroturf or seadek on the casting deck instead of carpet? Sure is more comfortable (to me) underfoot then carpet.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could use a thin neoprene closed cell underpad but nothing else would be good. Spoilsofwar probably has the best idea.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of foam products are going to hold moisture and that would be my only concern with doing this. If you can find padding that will not hold water, I think the idea is great.

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That SeaDek stuff is pretty cool! May be a good option, thanks for the response!