89 30 hp no charge

I have an 89 johnson 30hp, and the starting battery went dead on the water. I am concerned that it is not charging how it should. When I left with the boat it was fully charged, however when it runs at idle, the voltage sits at 10.4 roughly. At full throttle, the peak is 12.1. Is this normal, because it sounds a bit low to me. My buddy who was out on his grady said he is around 14v at full, and never less than 12.5 or so when idling. I have already replaced the rectifier, so where do I go from here? Does this sound like a bad stator? Bad battery?

Tested the rectifier and stator today..... Rectifier tested fine, stator did not.... yellow gray to yellow came up 1.4 ohms, should be .33-.32, yellow gray to yellow blue came up 1.2 ohms, should also be .22 -.32..... and yellow gray to ground should be infinite, came up 15m ohms. Does this all sound out of spec enough to cause a no- charge? also, left it sit without charging or disconnecting the battery since saturday, and the volts were at 11.4, dunno that it means anything or not though.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 89 30 hp no charge

Before tearing into the flywheel removal job. Just to eliminate the battery being bad, it could have a grounded out cell, you should try a different one and run the motor on the muffs while testing the voltage.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If your testing specs are correct it sounds like a bad stator.

Is there anything I have to do before pulling the flywheel, such as marking with a punch to align timing when reassembling?...or is it keyed?