Lower unit incompatibility?

RGMiner

Recruit
I purchased a new lower unit from Tohatsu a few months back and jut got around to trying to install it today. I ordered it by model (MFS15C) and serial number and they sent me what I believed to be the correct part..HOWEVER...when I attempted to change the lower unit the original shift rod is 2 pieces held together with a brass coupler and 2 pins. The one that was sent to me has a longer shift rod and is threaded. Obviously I cannot change the lower unit. Is there a piece that I am missing or did they send me the wrong unit? Everything else appears to be correct. Any help would be appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Lower unit incompatibility?

You have the wrong (superceded) part. Your parts dealer should refer to Service Bulletin 10-024:

"Responding to market demands, joint method of shift rod and cam rod is changed from spring pin joint to nut joint. Part number is superseded due to this modification."

The newer 15C uses the threaded rod; the earlier ones had the cross-drilled rod that accepts the brass coupler and roll pin. You should be able to swap the original cam rod into the new lower unit, or possibly get the cam rod for the earlier LU, if there are any left.

"If you install new Lower Unit Assy or Extension Housing Kit (UL) to outboards before serial number 022692AX, it’s necessary to replace Shift Rod, Shift Rod Joint, and Nut together."

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You didn't purchase it from Tohatsu so chances are the dealer you got it from did not order the correct one.

RGMiner

Recruit

You didn't purchase it from Tohatsu so chances are the dealer you got it from did not order the correct one.

I DID purchase it directly from Tohatsu. And my SN is newer than the one they quote as the cutoff and my motor still needs the added parts...which I am not happy about being required to pay for..

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Tohatsu does not sell to the public...They don't even have the ability to accept a credit card or process a check from anyone other than an authorized dealer...Are you outside of the U.S?

RGMiner

Recruit

No, I live in the US. I bought from an authorized parts vendor, which in my line of work is the same as buying from the manufacturer. Maybe it's not the same with Tohatsu. I own an IT service company. In my line of business buying parts from an authorized vendor assures compatibility and the parts carry the same warranty as buying directly from the manufacturer, unlike buying from a 3rd party or aftermarket parts. Anyway the long and short of it in this case is...

My serial number was newer than the serial number Tohatsu claims should not require the upgrade but yet it does, so the vendor is now shipping the parts free of charge so barring any issues installing them I am satisfied. Any idea how difficult installing these upgrade parts is suppose to be?

Tohatsu does not sell to the public...They don't even have the ability to accept a credit card or process a check from anyone other than an authorized dealer...Are you outside of the U.S?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's easy to change out those parts, just don't force anything.

pvanv

Admiral

What is your actual serial number? Do you have the Factory service manual?

You should be able to install the newer shift rod without issue. Or, for that matter, you could swap-in the old cam rod from the original LU. If you install the newer (threaded) shift rod, you will need to confirm proper shifter synchronization (i. e. F gives Forward, R gives Reverse, and N is really in Neutral).

RGMiner

Recruit

Well I got the parts and the parts list manual with the exploded view, however it shows the OLD style, not the new. Does anyone have or know where I can get a picture and or instructions to install these new parts? The rod part seems straight forward, however there is a small block of plastic with a hole in it that I am not sure where it goes.

pvanv

Admiral

The block (reverse lock link) is to release the tilt lockout when in Forward.

002-21054-6_FIG16.jpg

RGMiner

Recruit

Thanks. I managed to get it together without instruction. 34 years as a technician very little I can't take apart and put back together I guess. I will keep this for further reference.