Volvo 4.3 L 225 HP engine overheating problem

fdlsrv

Cadet
Hi guys,

saturday evening, the overheating alarm went on and I've shutted down my engine few seconds later. I've bought my boat in August 2011 (so it's still under warranty), but my dealership told me that Volvo won'T cover a overheating engine!!! He told me to call my insurance company...

He has not inspected the engine, the water pump or the thermostat yet, but I mean, it's not 2 years old! What do you guys think and suggest to do?

My engine is a Volvo 4.3 SX-i (225 HP).

Thanks a lot guys!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 4.3 L 225 HP engine overheating problem

Was it overheated on the gauge? or just the alarm going off. How did you determine it was an overheat alarm? That alarm could sound for several things.

What is the full model number or serial number of your engine?

fdlsrv

Cadet

On the temp gauge, it was showing 250 degrees... it's a volvo penta 4.3 gxi sx 225 hp

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the impeller in the raw water pump. That is why overheats aren't covered in warranty. A plastic bag in the water can take out an impeller very quickly. It's also recommended the impeller be replaced yearly. Could also be a stuck thermostat.

PS you didn't give the full model number either, You missed the last letter or two after the GXi