94 xri efi driving me nuts!!!!

tig27

Recruit
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ok my 94 175 xri efi is lost its mind. I could take it out rite now and it would run like a brand new motor, however every once in awhile after shutting it down it refuses to start back. Now the wierd part when it does this and I load it up and drive home a 5 min drive as soon as I get it home and put it on the muffs it starts up and runs perfect. Its done this around 5 times, the same result each time.
The fuel system is so clean you could use it to make moonshine. Ive been through it. Its hard to know what to look for because I cant catch it during one of its spells. The engine acts as if its flooded but its EFI so should not be so. There is no hesitation in the reponse of the throttle, no lack of rmps (5800) Like I said it runs fine if it starts.
Help please as this is making me pull my hair out!

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 94 xri efi driving me nuts!!!!

Could be a switch box or the stator....need to be tested when acting up...Down load the CDI tests...you need to check for spark on all 6 when it is not starting and that will tell you if it is fuel or ignition problem....Sounds like the ignition is heating up and shutting down...You will need to check your blk/yellow kill swith wire as well as voltage regulator yellow wires to be disconnected...You definitely have a strange one.......

tig27

Recruit

Thank you for your response. Last year I did smoke a regulator and have to replace it. The engine has ran fine for a season and half since. I will perform the tests you mentioned and repost my results. Going out this morning to see what happens and if it fails try and do some trouble shooting on the water. Thanks again!!

tig27

Recruit

This morining I took the boat out and it started fine warmed up fine. I ran it down the lake about 1/2 mile, stopped fished for 30 minutes and sure enough it would not start. It initially will hit a time or two then nothing. I trolled back to the ramp, tried to start the motor to load the boat and nothing. After loading it and pulling to the top of the ramp I lowered the engine back down and hit the starter and it fired instantly!!!
Ok so today I ran an ohms test on the stator, switch boxes, and tps. All were within the perameters of the CDI troubleshooting guide. I could not perform a DVA test as I do not have a meter with this capacity.
One thing I did notice today was my voltage meter is working but its not going above 12 volts. It has not though in the 2 years ive owned it. I checked voltage at the battery and it was 12.85V and at the engine it was around 12.8V. I always keep the main cranking battery on a maintainer. Cleaned all the connections and tightened. Bought a new set of plugs today (unsure why it runs great if it starts) going to install anyway.
Well still stumped, all help welcome, thanks-T