'93 135hp Black Max dies at WOT

Lowell_B

Cadet
Not owned long.

Have gone through cooling system. Replaced pump, thermostats, and rebuilt poppet valve. No visable corrosion in looking inside. Good flow from the pisser. Engine temp remains steady at about 160 degrees.

Starts easy. Will run fine doing about 20 knots all day long. If I go WOT, will run like a scalded dawg for about a minute, then shuts down. Have to wait about 15 minutes then it will fire back up. Before then, I'll just get a "click" out of the solendoid for about 10 minutes, then the starter will engage for one turn. Wait a little longer, everything is fine. Water temp does not rise.

I did find a leaking fuel line to the top carb. I have a fuel pump rebuild kit. Fuel tank bulb remains firm.

Am considering removing oil injection and going to a 50:1 mix.

The down & dirty. Picked up the boat cheap. Would like to get a "little" life out of it. Can't afford a powerhead or new engine right now.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: '93 135hp Black Max dies at WOT

Does the primer collapse when the motor dies? If so, check antisiphon valve in buiit-in tank. Are the carbs empty when the motor dies? If so, rebuild fuel pump. I do not like your description of a click out of starter solenoid. You might see if the motor is partially seizing. I sure hope not.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

BTW - I have that exact motor. It runs super.....

Lowell_B

Cadet

Thanks for the input! Here's my work as of last night...

The primer bulb doesn't collapse but isn't as "hard" as I initially pumped it up. Found 2 fuel leaks. One at the input to the fuel filter and a pretty substantial one going into the top carb from what looks like a small pump. (?) Repaired both with new fuel line and clamps.

Decarbed the engine with Seafoam. Blasted the carbs with Seafoam carb cleaner numerous times. Engine starts, runs (didn't leave the dock... got dark before I finished) and idles good. Ran out of fuel. :grumpy: Removed oil injection tanks.

This evening, I'm going to complete the removal of oil injection, fill with a 50:1 mix, test run, then change plugs. If I have time, I'll take for a test run in Tampa Bay.

I have a fuel pump rebuild kit that will probably have to wait until Thursday evening (I don't get home from work until 6pm.

Again, thanks for the input. It was nice to see someone took the time. I'll report my results.

Lowell_B

Cadet

SUCCESS! I would have though that more people would chime in with thoughts but I got it solved anyway!
After removing the oil injection (and going to a 50:1 mix) and de-carbonizing the engine, still had the same problem. Now since the oil tank had been removed, I could easily see the fuel filter. VERY LITTLE FUEL going through it! Rebuilt the fuel pump (about a 15 minute project) and SHAZAMM! Engine runs like a champ and does not stall out!

Hope this helps someone else!

Lowell