need to replace outdrive oil?

EL-BATO

Cadet
Hey folks, I filled the drive ('88 cobra, 3L) with brand new oil in the fall as part of my winterizing routine. Shifter cables were getting a little wonky (progressively harder to take out of gear) at the end of last season. As much as it sucks, i've decided to sacrifice a couple boating week-ends and get the cables done before it gets any worse.

My question is: when i pull the drive to change the cables, the boat will have been out only 3 or 4 times. Given how little the drive was run, and since i have to drain it to take it off, can I re-fill with the same gear oil (until the end of the season) when i put the drive back on or do i have to put new stuff in? I hate to waste barely used oil and spend $$$ on more...

What would you guys do?

tfitch03

Seaman
Re: need to replace outdrive oil?

Are you sure you have to drain the fluid to pull the drive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You DO NOT have to drain the oil out of the drive just to pull it off and put it back on. What led you to believe that was necessary?

Gangly

Seaman

Just finished with this and there were no reasons to drain the oil, what model are you working with? Also, be ready for struck drain and fill plugs. I couldnt get either off with a screw driver. Based on the helpful insight of others on this site, I got my hands on an impact driver and it came in VERY handy. First pop with a hammer and they broke free, worked great.

EL-BATO

Cadet

Section 12-3 of the "1986-1998 omc Sterndrive manual section 12-3 in the stern drive unit removal / installation instructions state:
1. Disconnect the battery cables.
2. Lower the drive unit into the full DOWN or IN position. Drain the stern
drive unit oil as detailed in the Maintenance section-make sure that you
remove the oil dipstick.(...)

Perhaps they were recommending this if you wish to use the dip stick screw threads as a support point when taking the drive off?

If I don't have to take out the oil, i'd most definitely skip that step!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

See what happens when you follow those junky aftermarket manuals. :facepalm: :facepalm: Wrong more often than right.
No reason in the world to drain the drive just to remove it. And that is 25+ years worth of working as a marine tech experience speaking.
Even if you wanted to use a ring in the dip stick hole, you don't need to drain the drive.

Gangly

Seaman

Drive Removal.jpg
here you go, this shoul dbe better. its for a 1990 model cobra, but removal should be almost identical I would think.

EL-BATO

Cadet

Thanks for the good feeback folks! I'll make sure to have a few cold ones thinking about this thread with the money i saved not changing that oil :)

Then i'll scratch my head staring blankly at my detached drive with said bevvy wondering what i just got myself into lol

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Drive jack from Stumpy's Fabworks.jpgCobra 5.jpgView attachment 199150Do you have the special tools for adjusting the shift cable? If not you might consider getting them if you are going to keep running the Cobra. Having them makes it much easier. Keep in mind that its not just adjusting the transom shift cable, it may also be necessary to adjust the cable from the remote control to the shift lever on the engine bracket.
You start with the drive removal, I'd make a wood stand or buy one like in my pic here because the drive is heavy and getting it off is usually not a problem as long as the driveshaft is not rusted in the coupler. Getting it ON can be difficult unless you get it at the right height.
You have to check the bellcrank in the pivot housing for deposits and clean em out and pack that area with grease. When you disconnect the transom shift cable use a fish scale to measure the drag, it should be 2lbs or less. First you set the cable to the right dimension by using the tool to hold the bellcrank at 90* and then you use the cable tool to get the measurement at 7 9/16ths. Then reinstall and tighten the cable retainer down by the pivot housing. You may also have to adjust the ferrull (6 1/2 in from the hole in the cable end to the middle of the ferrull). Then you have to do the remote cable. Go take a look at Midnight Wolf's website, he sells the tools you need and has the OE manual sections that pertain to the whole job. Its more tricky than you might think. You also need a helper to rotate the prop to be able to feel if the dog clutches fully engage in fwd and rev. You want equal shift stroke both fwd and rev for both the transom shift cable and the remote control cable. If not one of the gear positions will not engage and the gears will grind.