headliner question

piratedude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the headliner in my cruiser is looking old and mildewey...can i rip it off and just have the fiberglass liner..will i have glue residue all over the ceiling if i do? how would i get it off?

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: headliner question

most likely you will have wood under the headliner, yes you will have glue all over it, and yes it makes a mess as you have to sand off all the glue down to bare wood and put back what you want. what kind of boat is it?? what year?? Most boats have cored decks which means there is wood under all that fiberglass use the red serch button and look for interior and headliner good luck and remember to post pics if you can

piratedude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1996 rinker 266- it has full cabin liner so does that mean beneath the headliner is glossy white gelcoat? if so what kind of glue remover will work?

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

A good quick fix is to take off the old covering, and sand the surface with something like 80 or 100 grit sand paper to knock off all the big stuff and get it sort of flat.<br /><br />A automotive upholstery cloth supply house will have the 1/4" or so foam padded, velvet feeling headliner material they use in cars. <br /><br />It usually runs around $15 a running yard.<br /><br />Get a can of spray glue, 3M #8080 is good. Spray the ceiling, and the foam material both. <br /><br />Its better with two people to keep it sort of taunt, and stick it up there starting in the center and pressing towards the outside edges.<br /><br />Ideally, take the ceiling pannel down and do it on a table, but it it won't come out, it can be done in place.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the headliner isn't ripped or torn, have you tried cleaning it ? Tilex mold and mildew remover works great on headliners. Saturate the headliner with mildew remover, let sit half an hour, scrub with brush, then rinse and vac (rental carpet cleaner with upholstery wand works great). If, the backing of the headliner is mildewed, it might seep back through in a few areas, just retouch those areas....it will look great.