Advice on purchase of used tiara express 2500 vacationer

HI GUYS,
I GET GREAT INPUT WITH THESE FORUMS, SO MANY THANKS!

QUESTION: ALWAYS A FRESHWATER BOAT OWNER, LOOKING @ A USED TIARA 2500 THAT FELL IN MY LAP. A FRIENDS NEIGHBOR JUST WANTS IT GONE SHORT MONEY... ANY INPUT RE: THIS COMPANY ,MODEL, ENGINE, COMMON ISSUES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!

PARTICULARS:1980 Tiara express cruiser model 2500 Vacationer single Mercruiser 5.7L gas V-8 inboard engine (not running.)
Boat includes jack stands, swim platform, pedestal seats, stove sink ice box, enclosed head toilet and sink, built of solid fiberglass no wood laminates, two batteries, fresh water wash down, shore power, anchor, 105' rope, dock lines, new top, new prop, well documented including survey and title..

WORTH MENTIONING: I HAVE DONE A FAIR SHARE OF AUTO MECHANICS JEEP REBUILDS ECT..AND DON'T SHY FROM A PROJECT, BUT NO REAL EXPERIENCE WITH MARINE ENGINES OUTSIDE OF SMALL OUTBOARD REBUILDS.. GETTING IN OVER MY HEAD WITH THIS ONE??

THANKS EVERYONE FOR READING

MARK

Attachments

• TIARA 25.jpg
    TIARA 25.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Advice on purchase of used tiara express 2500 vacationer

I believe that Tiara used a balsa core hull. So, at that age, any water penetration into the core would be a concern. Percussion testing or a moisture meter would be able to tell if there are any moisture/rot issues in the hull.

The engine will probably be OK for you, considering your auto mechanic skills.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

It sounds like even a rebuild on the engine will not be a big deal with no labor involved. Even installing a reman could make this a deal for you depending on price of the boat. With your skills I'd be less concerned about the motor and very anxious to know about the hull condition.Even without your mechanical skills my 1st concern would be hull condition.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

The hull sides are cored, not the bottom. Solid boat, but do have it surveyed before purchase.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure if you noticed,
...but your caps lock is on.

thanks for input guys much appreciated.. Caps lock was a necessary evil. Spilled coffee on the keyboard. :(