Alpha 1 clicking when in gear? Help!

jimmyc607

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
I have a 1991 Baja 190 DSR w/ the 4.3 and an alpha 1 outdrive on it. Last season we used the boat nearly every weekend and we use it pretty hard with lots of skiing and wakeboarding.

For some of the back story please bare with me. At the end of the season as we were coming into the loading dock the outdrive made a noise and then stalled. When I tried to crank it back over it seemed to be seized up. Upon getting it home I tried cranking it over again and this time it started but had an awesome grinding noise so it was quickly shut off.

I found the issue to be that the top bearing had gone dry for some reason and seized itself onto the vertical shaft. I had this bearing replaced and everything was checked over by a marina. I brought the boat home and ran it with the muffs to ensure everything was good and at that time the boat went into gear normally with no noise. The season was over for us at that point so the boat was winterized and put up.

Now this weekend I got the boat around and started it up for the first time this season. At idle and in neutral the boat runs smooth with no noise whatsoever from the outdrive. However when putting it into FWD or Reverse gear there is a sort of rythmic clicking sound coming from the outdrive. As you throttle up it gets a bit louder and continues.

Anyone have any ideas on what to check first? Our boating seasons are short so I would like to get this addressed ASAP! If I cannot figure it out myself I will take it back to the marina but would prefer not too. Thanks ahead! :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha 1 clicking when in gear? Help!

Hello all,
I have a 1991 Baja 190 DSR w/ the 4.3 and an alpha 1 outdrive on it. Last season we used the boat nearly every weekend and we use it pretty hard with lots of skiing and wakeboarding.

For some of the back story please bare with me. At the end of the season as we were coming into the loading dock the outdrive made a noise and then stalled. When I tried to crank it back over it seemed to be seized up. Upon getting it home I tried cranking it over again and this time it started but had an awesome grinding noise so it was quickly shut off.

I found the issue to be that the top bearing had gone dry for some reason and seized itself onto the vertical shaft. I had this bearing replaced and everything was checked over by a marina. I brought the boat home and ran it with the muffs to ensure everything was good and at that time the boat went into gear normally with no noise. The season was over for us at that point so the boat was winterized and put up.

Now this weekend I got the boat around and started it up for the first time this season. At idle and in neutral the boat runs smooth with no noise whatsoever from the outdrive. However when putting it into FWD or Reverse gear there is a sort of rythmic clicking sound coming from the outdrive. As you throttle up it gets a bit louder and continues.

Anyone have any ideas on what to check first? Our boating seasons are short so I would like to get this addressed ASAP! If I cannot figure it out myself I will take it back to the marina but would prefer not too. Thanks ahead! :)

Ayuh,... Pull the drain plug, 'n look for metal,...

jimmyc607

Seaman Apprentice

When I changed the fluid in it last season I did not find anything in it after the bearing seized up and the marina replaced it. I haven't started the boat since that time last season so it was brand new fluid but I can drain the fluid again tonight and see if anything metallic shows up.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Any kind of warrenty from the shop that did the work?

jimmyc607

Seaman Apprentice

Ehhh this was kinda an under the table thing from a friend of the family, he has been a boat mechanic for years and does great work but he has since moved out of the area.

A clicking when in drive could be a bad u-joint. It's possible that the u-joints may have been damaged when it seized.

jimmyc607

Seaman Apprentice

I called and spoke to a marina yesterday and the guy recommended trying to adjust my shift cables to see if that might change anything?

Bondo

Staff member

I called and spoke to a marina yesterday and the guy recommended trying to adjust my shift cables to see if that might change anything?

Ayuh,.... With the only hint, a Clickin' noise,... At this point, I'd say Run it, 'n see what it does,...

At least back down the launch, 'n try it on the wagon, in the water,...
Tied down solid of course,...
Or take it for a spin,...

Ya can't tell much in the driveway,... What sorta Clickin' is it,..??