First boat purchase...please help!

bmurph

Recruit
I live in Michigan and looking to be a first time boat owner. So far I have a top 3 list but open to other recommendations. I am listing the deals I'm being offered below and would like to hear opinions on which might be the best deal.

New 2013 Bryant 198: Selling for $36,900 and has a Merc 4.3 MPI (220 HP)

New 2013 Four Winns H190 SS: It's the second version of the 2013,they actually have older and newer versions of the 2013. Selling for $32,000 with Volvo Penta (200 HP)

Used 2011 Sea Ray 185 Sport: Only has 18 hours on it. From a private seller. Looks like brand new. Has a Merc 4.3 MPI (220 HP). Motor warranty expires in August this year. Selling for $23,900.

There are obviously some different price points here so I'm interested which one is the best value for this boat it's buying?

Also, if you're familiar with dealerships in Michigan (if this plays a role on which boat to has a better deal) I would appreciate some feedback here too. The Bryant is coming from Freeway Sports Center. The Four Winns from Skipper Buds. And again the Sea Ray from a private seller.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First boat purchase...please help!

Just my thoughts, but you can buy at least 3 engines for the price differences. IMO, I would buy the used 2011.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

You are comparing 2 new boats and 1 used boat, which can be a different evaluation process. With a used boat, you want to know as much about the boat's history as possible. 2 years old and 18 hours is an eye brow raiser. So, why so few hours and now selling.? You should probably learn more about that situation. You will want to have a used boat surveyed and perhaps a mechanical inspection of the engine, sea trial, etc.

The other 2 boats, the new ones,. . . Bryant is a nice boat, Four Winns is fine. There are web sites to find out 'dealer invoice',etc, similar to the invoice price on cars. Typically, there is substantial margin on boats, but not quite as much on the smaller sizes, like under 20 feet.

Tell us what you know about boating itself?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Of the three you listed. I would get the Bryant. No wood in the construction and they are a better built boat overall than either of the other two.
I would also expand your search and look for a Monterey 194FS/204FS. Price will be between the Four Winns and Bryant. (IF you can find one) Quality level is excellent, and more cockpit space than the other two.

I would never buy anything from Skipper Buds. Had a buddy that was a salesman with them in West Michigan. Horrible "behind the scenes" stuff they do
regarding boat deals.

The Sea Ray is priced okay, but it's an entry level boat, and looks it compared to the other two.

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

What it your experience level with boating? A lot of people underestimate the time and money required to keep boats running (maybe why the Sea Ray only has 18 hrs on it) so I would look further into a used boat like the cheaper Sea Ray if you've never owned a boat. In a few yrs then you can upgrade to a newer boat once you have a better idea of the costs involved to operate a boat as much as you want to use it. I see a lot of "dock queens" that just sit at the dock and don't get used often in my area. I also wouldn't want a brand new boat while I was first learning docking/trailering and where the sandbars/stumps/etc in my boating area are but that's just me.