Checkmate stringers help.

Seacall79

Recruit
I am restoring a 72' Checkmate mx16. I have already removed the deck, and took out the rotted transom.
I cut part of the floor out to expose the stringer. I was happy to see the stringer was solid. However it did not extend all the way to the transom. Is this normal? Maybe this is so the stringers isnt blocking the drain plug?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Checkmate stringers help.

Welcome to iBoats!

"I was happy to see the stringer was solid."

What did you do to ensure the stringer was sound? Did you drill into it and check the shavings? That's about the only way to know for sure. Some boats stringers do not attach to the transom we'll need pics to help you decide if your's should or not.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iBoats!

What did you do to ensure the stringer was sound? Did you drill into it and check the shavings? That's about the only way to know for sure. Some boats stringers do not attach to the transom we'll need pics to help you decide if your's should or not.

This just put a big smile on my face... Anyways, IMO you definitely want to do some more checks to see if the stringers are "solid". Seems as though you have most of the demo work done with the exception of about 2000 more hrs. of grinding down old glass.

Seacall79

Recruit

Welcome to iBoats!

I did drill 2 holes near the bottom of the stringer each about a foot apart. Both had clean shavings. They felt course between my fingers not soft and spongy. So with that I am going with the thought that I may not have to replace the stringer. I will however cut a small piece off of the end so I can get a look at whats happening inside the wood when I get a chance. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Seacall79

Recruit

This just put a big smile on my face... Anyways, IMO you definitely want to do some more checks to see if the stringers are "solid". Seems as though you have most of the demo work done with the exception of about 2000 more hrs. of grinding down old glass.

I agree. I will do some more checks to be sure it doesn't need to be replaced. I did drill 2 holes near the bottom and the shavings were dry and clean but I will probably cut a small 1" piece off of the end to ensure that everything is okay. You weren't the only one with a big smile! When I drilled the first hole I was very happy with what I saw. I was sure that I would have to do a complete restoration. At least now one major part may not have to be done. And you are correct. I have not gotten to the grinding and sanding yet.