Protecting Teak

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had a hard time keeping my teak swim deck from weathering badly. I apply a generous coat of teak oil about every month but I think the sun just destroys it. What can I do to keep it protected and looking good? I trailer my little runabout after every outing and it sits in my yard in the sun. I guess I could rig up a cover for it. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Protecting Teak

I've had a hard time keeping my teak swim deck from weathering badly. I apply a generous coat of teak oil about every month but I think the sun just destroys it. What can I do to keep it protected and looking good? I trailer my little runabout after every outing and it sits in my yard in the sun. I guess I could rig up a cover for it. Any ideas?

Ayuh,.... Try Twice a month,..??

The only other way I know, is keep the Sun, 'n Rain off it,....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When you Treat it with oil, How are you doing the treatment. Have you done a thorough cleaning of the teak at any time? Have you really Soaked it with Oil for an extended time and then done weekly follow ups to ensure total saturation? UV and water will remove the oil very quickly so it does require frequent treatments unless you want to seal it with a sealer, like a UV protectant Varnish, but then it would be slick and slippery which is not good for a swim platform.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,.... Try Twice a month,..??

The only other way I know, is keep the Sun, 'n Rain off it,....

Yup ..

Try Watco Teak oil. Pure teak oil and keep up with it.

If not your style .. then varnish it .. then put some 3 coats and some sanding on it every year.

YD.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have cleaned it, the previous owner had varnished it. The varnish was peeling and looked terrible so I sanded it all down a couple years ago. I probably need to apply the oil more often and really let it soak in. The current bottle of oil is from Meguiars, figured that was a good product. I'm working on a cover for it too. Thanks for the advice fellars.