Is it bad to leave water in the bilge area during the winter?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, Since it is getting cold here in CT, I tried to remove as much water as possible from my bilge area as possible, but there still is some left. If this water freezes, will it ruin anything? (The boat is left outside all winter) Do I need to ensure it all gets out of there? I wrapped the whole boat in a brand new blue plastic tarp, so it "should stay" dry. Any advice is appreciated!<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />MAX

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Is it bad to leave water in the bilge area during the winter?

It is always advisable to remove as much as possible. I use a sponge to get the last bit out if there is ever any in there. Sometimes you just can't get it all. If it is just a little bit, it won't hurt anything, but if it is several inches, then there is the possibility of expansion causing damage. Good luck...

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would do everything I could to get it out, but unless it is in a confined space there shouldn't be any damage from expansion.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Water under boat-- good.<br />Water inside boat- bad.<br /><br />I'd get out as much as possible so it isn't laying around trying to get inside your flotation foam if nothing else.<br /><br />The problem with water freezing and bursting something as it expands is when it doesn't have a place to expand to. Just laying around in the bilge, a small amount of water can safely go up as it 'grows'. <br /><br />Ed.

phatmanmike

Captain

i love hearing about these weird things. i live in florida and have never heard about this stuff untill i joined IBOATS.com <br /><br />sounds like a pain in the keester

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How bad it might be depends on how much water, the boat and the kind of weather you will get, Max.<br /><br />It is NEVER good to have any water in the bilge.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

18rabbit

Captain

I’m with Mike on this. Water is supposed to be a liquid, not a solid. :D