1964 3 hp evinrude

Rebil79

Cadet
Might be looking at one. Any reason to stay away from one of these motors, besides age? Says it running good with a new carb kit just put in.

Thanks
Rebil

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1964 3 hp evinrude

Bought a pair of these motors recently. The first year of production 52-53 for the series that includes your year. I paid $80 for the pair but had to do a little carb and ignition cleanup, new impellers and a head gasket on one. Both run great. Had one years ago and I'm still impressed with the reliability. They are fine motors and a $135 is a price I would pay if I NEEDED one and it was was in decent condition.

Rebil79

Cadet

Bought a pair of these motors recently. The first year of production 52-53 for the series that includes your year. I paid $80 for the pair but had to do a little carb and ignition cleanup, new impellers and a head gasket on one. Both run great. Had one years ago and I'm still impressed with the reliability. They are fine motors and a $135 is a price I would pay if I NEEDED one and it was was in decent condition.

I need a motor and this one is the best price I have found, the next closest was 275 for a 70s 4 hp johnson and they just go up from there. I just have a little 12ft almn boat I just picked up. Just starting out in this game, I can always upgrade later and I have access to a couple 9.9s.

Rebil

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I was using my '61 Evinrude 3 on Friday. Great little engines. If yous see it running for $135 it's not a bad deal at all. But it he can't show it running, offer him $50 for it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those little JohnnyRudes were the best outboards ever made. Never talked to a user who didn't run out of adjectives praising it.

His price is higher than some, but a fair price for a demonstratable example. I felt mine was priceless.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

if it runs ok then you likely* don't need to do coils, points, impeller and head gasket so $135 will do a lot of trolling for you and keep the kids happy if you have kids. much better investment than a PS3 or nintendo boxes.

* ask if they have been changed or not