bait pump issues

bitesomthing

Cadet
Ok heres my issue.
1994 proline 17ft center console.
Bait tank is in front of console.
Just got boat 2weeks ago I replaced the old pump which was a 800 gallons per hour (800 didnt have much volume either is why i changed it)pump with a new 1100 gallon piranha shurflo pump but when I turn on the pump while on the water/ ocean I get very little water pressure to tank. I also have 13 volts at pump wires with motor off.
From pump to tank is about six feet with about a 2ft elevation rise.
About a 10 minutes fill time.Thats with wide open valves.
I also had to reduce out flow hose from
1 1/8 inch down to 3/4 inch hose. I figured the smaller diameter hose may restrict the volume of water, but thought i would have better pressure.
Where did i go wrong and what can i do to get better vole of water from pump?
Im sure lots of guys have bait tanks in front of center consol and have plenty of water.
If so what pumps are you using?
Thanks
Chris

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: bait pump issues

10 minutes is not an unreasonable fill time if its a decent sized livewell. I think that plumbing it 1 1/8" all the way will help some, but other than that i dont know what to tell you. Most boats that have large livewells (like larger offshore or bay boats) have two pumps, and if you are really that hard up for faster fill then that could be done. It gives you the redundancy too, so if one pump fails you still have the livewell.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Make sure the hoses are clear,... Sounds like there's some obstructions,...

Also realize that manufacturers rate these pumps to make them sound way more powerful than they really are. They're rated at zero head, which means basically it's the flow you'd get out of one if it was submerged in water with no hose attached (and I'd bet that many are rated pretty optimistically even at those ideal conditions). Flow rate with this type of pump falls off very fast with any kind of back pressure (restriction), so that reduction down to 3/4 hose is hurting you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check for an obstruction in the INLET side of the pump. The strainer may be fouled or the inlet hose pinched. Those pumps are "volume" pumps, not "pressure" pumps. High pressure does not necessarily relate to high volume.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also check your voltage at the pump while it is pumping water.... You can have good power without a load and fall off as soon as a load is applied

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

10 minutes isn't that bad really, depending on the size of your tank. How big is it? What kind? What type of pick-up do you have and how is it plumbed/mounted to the pump?

bitesomthing

Cadet

10 minutes isn't that bad really, depending on the size of your tank. How big is it? What kind? What type of pick-up do you have and how is it plumbed/mounted to the pump?

i think i miss stated the 10 minute part, probably more like 15 to 20 minutes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

i think i miss stated the 10 minute part, probably more like 15 to 20 minutes.

You must have an enormous size live well to take 20 minutes to fill with an 1100GPH pump... Is it a bath tub or a spa...?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Well, you've probably got some installation issues, because 1100 GPH is usually plenty for bait tank on a 17' boat. You didn't say how big your tank is, so I have to assume you don't know. The rigging from the water pick-up to the pump is critical, as is the mounting orientation of the pump itself. If you haven't followed the directions, that could be your problem.