280 outdrive tilt position sending unit

samlac

Recruit
Hi, I have a 82/83 Wellcraft V20Sl. Has a four banger engine and 280outdrive. I have a Clymer Book and I am trying to find the sending unit for the tilt system. Clymer is vague and in one instance says lift the drive, and turn all the way to starboard to expose the sending unit. Another section says it is under the steering helmet, but begins with lifting the outdrive almost the max and then removing the helmet. I don't think that is possible as the helmet is not much exposed when the outdrive is up. All I want to accomplish is to adjust the sending unit so the gage on the dask gives a more correct indication of the outdrive position. Any help. I am in Baja, Mexico and there is not much technical help here.

Sam

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 280 outdrive tilt position sending unit

A Volvo 280 does not have a gauge or sending unit.

samlac

Recruit

A Volvo 280 does not have a gauge or sending unit.
I certainly see a gage that indicates the position of the outdrive and my Clymer book for Volvo Penta indicates that there is a sending unit that allows the gage to read if the outdrive is up or in a trim position. If I am using incorrect nomenclature, sorry.

greener14519

Cadet

samlac, Don is correct. The 280 doesn't have a trim gage sender. It doesn't even have a power trim. It has an electric lift motor for trailering, but if you were to use it like a power trim you would destroy it almost instantly. The only trim adjustment on a 280 outdrive is your choice of three positions for the bar that the outdrive locks to. Adjusting this bar requires trailering or swimming with wrenches as it can't be done from inside the boat. Therefore, if you have a trim gage, then likely it is something someone rigged up homemade, or you may not have a 280 drive.

greener14519

Cadet

The 290 outdrive does have a trim gage. It sits on top of the steering shaft, behind the engine, inside the engine compartment. It is adjusted with a plastic gear segment that sits on top of the steering helmet. Adjusting that is the opposite of what your book says though. You actually trim the drive all the way down. At that point, you can see part of the plastic gear segment and the single plastic screw that holds it in place. To adjust it, you remove the screw, and rotate the gear rearward and downward until it disengages from the round gear that it drives. Then, while someone watches the gage on the dash, you can rotate that round gear to find the correct position and then slide the gear segment back up to reengage the round gear. I have done this on the trailer, and also in the water. It's easier to do on the trailer.

Don S

The 290 outdrive does have a trim gage.................................

He has a 280, not a 290. Says so in the title and the first sentence.

He is also looking at a Clymers manual, Very little accurate information on Volvo in those garbage manuals.

greener14519

Cadet

He has a 280, not a 290. Says so in the title and the first sentence.

So, there's no possibility that he might actually not have a 280? Because nobody has ever posted incorrect information. Do you have another theory as to why his boat has a trim gage?

Don S

So, there's no possibility that he might actually not have a 280? Because nobody has ever posted incorrect information. Do you have another theory as to why his boat has a trim gage?

He could also have a Mercruiser, or an OMC, but as long as he is calling it a 280 we kind of need to assume he knows what he has. He could also have a 280T.
Besides, the 290 didn't exist in 82 and 83.