Idle issues, rich mixture?

Randy000

Seaman
Hey all I have a 97 Evinrude 130. I bought it last a few months back and I cant seem to get it to idle well. Sound like its missing from time to time and likes to die out at idle. Sounds as if the RPM at idle is low. Yesterday I had it out and now coming out of idle its acting like its loaded up with fuel and you have to slowly increase throttle, then it clears itself out and picks up in RPM and is fine. Ive been meaning to adjust the mixtures thinking its running rich? I cleaned the carbs when I first got it. Spark and compression are good. Just looking to see if there's anything else I'm not thinking of. Adjusting the mixtures kinda sounds like a pain?
I just had the carbs apart to see if there were any issues when my Fuel pump died. Looked pretty clean. Something I'm not used to seeing but maybe is normal on the boat motors, when I pull the silencer off, there's a little but of fuel and oil sitting in the throat of all 4 carbs right at the intake. Is that normal? I premix by the way 50:1.

fireman57

Captain
Re: Idle issues, rich mixture?

don't adjust any mixtures. Get a cheap spark tester from Autozone or somewhere. They are about 10 bucks and make sure that you have spark to each cylinder. Spark need to jump a good 1/2 inch and be bright blue. Orange spark won't do it. If you have good spark to all then you need to go through your carbs again because you missed something. Soak them overnight in a good carb cleaner and get a very small piece of soft wire and go through every hole you can find. Jets, holes in the pickup tube etc. Then blow everything out with compressed air. Just because you cleaned them last year if you don't have a good filter on them they still pick up crud from the tank.

Randy000

Seaman

I already checked the spark it was good. I went through the carbs two weeks ago, and cleaning then the first time didn't help the idle. The carbs on this motor are pretty simple and have plates that open up for the passages for cleaning. Also the filter has been changed twice in the few trips I've made with it.
Adjusting mixtures is not a big deal, maybe for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I've just never done it on this motor so was just looking for any quick tips. Who knows what previous people have done and engines change as they get older.

fireman57

Captain

If you want to adjust your idle do it at the dock or on the trailer in the water with the engine submerged. It needs the back pressure to run properly. Use the round knob on the cable under you cowling. You will have to take a flathead bolt off with a plate to adjust it. The plate keeps it from turning once you adjust it where you want it. If you are looking at your engine from inside the boat it will be on the left lower side.Can't miss it.