composite stringers

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: composite stringers

Actually quite a few builders build with no wood and many have for over a decade. McKee Craft stopped using wood in 2001. EdgeWater has not used wood in a long time also. On THT there is an entire thread with a long list and the year they stopped using wood. Find the year they stopped using wood completely. As some now have a composite transom and stringers but have a wood core in the deck. Bayliner still uses wood in the transom so probably in the stringers too,, keep that one off your list no matter the price if you want no wood..

Actually quite a few builders build with no wood and many have for over a decade. McKee Craft stopped using wood in 2001. EdgeWater has not used wood in a long time also. On THT there is an entire thread with a long list and the year they stopped using wood. Find the year they stopped using wood completely. As some now have a composite transom and stringers but have a wood core in the deck. Bayliner still uses wood in the transom so probably in the stringers too,, keep that one off your list no matter the price if you want no wood..

How can I find this thread?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Buy a pontoon boat. It'll never have any stringers to rot out, and they'll last virtually forever if you keep the decks dry. My last pontoon boat is 27 years old, and is still perfectly serviceable.

If you need more details on stringers and boats, you might want to give us an idea of what kind of boat and size of motor you're looking for.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know my Stingray has no-wood fiberglass stringers.
stringer.jpg

There is wood elsewhere in the boat, though.

A better way to do this would be like bamaman said though; find boats you're interested in, and then, if no-wood construction is a prerequisite for you, contact the manufacturers to find out what they're made of.