Whoops! Muffs on, hose off, no water flow

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I accidentally ran my engine for a minute with the muffs on, but I forgot to turn on the hose. It was only run for a couple minutes like that. I let it cool for a few hours, and ran it again. As it was running, there was no water flow exiting the engine from the prop hub or the 2 exhaust ports on the transom. All the water was just gushing out the sides off the muffs.

I pulled the impeller and it is a melted mess. I'll replace it tomorrow. The exhaust manifolds were hot to the touch, and the temp gauge got up to 220. The oil is still clean, so I don't think I warped a head. Time will tell.

Is there anything else I should check? Is there anything else I should definitely replace besides the impeller?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Whoops! Muffs on, hose off, no water flow

What drive / engine are we talking about? (edit...just read your signature, so it looks like its most likely an Alpha 1 (non genII) If it is a pre-gen II alpha, R, MR, then you better have a good look at your water pocket cover where the water pump tube enters the upper half of your drive. High overheats can/have melted this plastic part and if it's seal is compromised, you'll have more overheat problems.
Also, at that temp you will definitely need to check your exhaust shutters (at the tops of your "Y" pipe right below the exhaust elbows). If you are lucky, they survived that short time of high temp. Otherwise, they may have melted, too. Sometimes when this happens, you find pieces of them in the exhaust area of your bell housing when you remove the drive. Sometimes all the way in the drive itself.
Keep us posted.... and don't do that again! (I know...goes without saying).
I would replace the impeller and the water pump housing and base (all this comes in the complete kit). Results of the rest of the inspection on the water pocket and the exhaust shutters will determine further parts. Dont forget to pressure test the drive when all is fixed.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Whoops! Muffs on, hose off, no water flow

Water pocket cover, exhaust shutters, all the rubber in the line from the elbows to the Y-pipe, the exhaust bellows...

You're going to need a complete water pump kit, and a water pump base... at the very least...