Exhaust Bellows and other questions

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello All,

I am looking to by a 2009 boat equipped with a 3.0L GL. Sorry, no Serial number. The engine has 20 hours. Sounds and runs great.

My questions:

1. There is an exhaust bellows (I believe) that goes from the transom assembly to the outdrive. It can be seen from the side. I think there are two bellows, one for the driveshaft and the lower one for the exhaust. correct? This one has a small leak, on the bottom, toward the front, near the clamp. At least I think that it is a leak. How hard is the bellows to change if it is leaking?

2. Will that cause an issue if I run it for a while like it is?

3. I also noticed that the 3.0L Volvo is much louder, on the muffs, than a 3.0L MerC. There seems to be a lot of exhaust coming out of the rear of the cavitation plate. Normal?

4. I believe the Volvo to be a superior drive. Anything to look out for?

Thanks!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Exhaust Bellows and other questions

Correct, 2 bellows. Exhaust bellows are designed with small holes in them so that they are self-draining while sitting on the trailer. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about there.

Nothing special to look out for vs a merc drive. Stay on top of your preventative maintenance, including pulling the drive yearly to check alignment and grease coupler splines. It should live a long healthy life.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Exhaust Bellows and other questions

Thank You.

The previous owner had it serviced by a Volvo dealer only. It has had two oil changes (20 hours) and an impeller service.

I was impressed to see a Volvo oil filter on it.