help.. pump primer ball it wont get hard... keep pumping it comes out exhaust

So today im pumping the primer ball its just not getting stiff i keep pumping and now fuel is coming out the exhaust and water intake.....? yesterday i installed some missing low air intake ports screw whatever you call them and started getting sludge out the exhaust. all i find info wise is thats normal when running in a barrell but no way not at this level. So I go back out there today and to run it again and as noted primer bulb above ... its a 1976 mercury 1150 115 hp

this cannot be normal and theres loads of unbruned fuel and oil in the barrell way to much to be normal i would be leaving a oil slick down the river.

Re: help.. pump primer ball it wont get hard... keep pumping it comes out exhaust

that sounds simple enough man i was freaking out thinking blown intake cracked head or something. illl have to find a rebuild kit

Re: help.. pump primer ball it wont get hard... keep pumping it comes out exhaust

Okay so for all you newbies out there like me... a fellow replied to my thread here and stated the fuel pump diaphragn was most likely damaged. It had nothing to do with the replaced low air inlet screws.
I disassembled the pump
1976 mercury 1150 115 hp ELPT
fuel pump images
fp1.JPG

opened it up
loads of crap on screen
fp5.JPG

buildup on lower half
fp9.JPG

top half ugh
fp12.JPG

** now i couldnt get these screws off and the kit came with two brown paper/cork washers and a smalll rubber ring presumly goes in here I couldnt get screws off they wanted to strip. i hhad another pump i acquired in a box of parts locally and i was able to get that ones screws and bracket off however it revealed nothing much i couldnt see putting pliers on those valve brass things do they just pop out? special tool or something? is that where thesse gaskets and o-ring go? well i figured my problem exsist with the diaphragm and not whatevers in here so i cleaned it uop best possible inspected nylon washer and spring are free of debris and functional i guess this is a check valve or something? dont fix it if it isnt broke.. :) trying to get it apart sure to break it glad i have a second pump im going to order a rebuild kit for it and do this all again hopefully by then ill know how to get deeper into it and replace this valve ?
up close of issue
fp14.JPG

so what we have here i dont see any rips or tears but look at it it looks diseased.. as it dried it got even worse semms like diaphragm is made of up cloth with rubber on both sides mine looks like rubber went away and cloth was allowing fuel to saturate through?

Not sure but i changed the diaphragm and no more goop being created in exhaust and out prop. You know a handful of people and forums said it was normal when running in a barrel i should of shot a video because this was normal amount of sludge ooz it was literraly spewing oil water gas mix out the prop no way that was normal.. I redid the diaphragm and no more sludge it was quick and easy and i got the kit delivered to my door from ebay for 9$ orignal oem quicksilver kit as well.. and yes now my primer ball stays hard...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your diaphragm was way past shot. And poor fuel pressure can do some funny things, as you found out.

Those are one-way check valves. One lets fuel into the pump and the other lets fuel out to the carbs. The small cork gaskets go under the check valves. I'm not familiar with your fuel pump, bot the o-ring might be the seal for the screen cover.

Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and motor. Seeing all the crud in the filter screen, it would be a good idea.