Norcold Refridgerator versus New Energy Compliant Models

VerBoatin

Seaman
Hello iBoats,
I have a Norcold AC/DC Fridge in my boat. It is old and works OK but not as efficiently as I would like. Rather than pay the $1000 or so for a new AC/DC fridge I am considering purchasing a small 110V/AC only dorm type fridge (30H x 25W x 30D) and using a 12V - 110V inverter to power the fridge when underway. Some of the new energy compliant small refridgerators available today tuse very low power and are very attractive and efficient. I have one on my patio/outdoor kitchen and it works great! I would appreciate any comments, guidance, suggestions, etc., particularly relative to the amount of current draw and the ability to use a dedicated inverter to power the small fridge. Thanks in advance for your help!
Verboatin

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Norcold Refridgerator versus New Energy Compliant Models

You will eat up some of that increased efficiency with the inverter. Adding the costs of the inverter and the refrigerator (the former is going to cost more than the latter), and it starts to make less sense.

If you don't need ice, a piezoelectric cooler is very energy-efficient.

VerBoatin

Seaman
Re: Norcold Refridgerator versus New Energy Compliant Models

Thank you much for your guidance. I have an ice maker as a stand alone unit so I will look at s piezoelectric unit. Thank you much! VB