How loud should a 3.5 ho Merc. 4-stroke be?

captkenroy

Recruit
I just bought a used 2007 Merc 3.5 hp 4-stroke from a used boat place here in Crystal River, FL. At idle it is darn near silent but at my trolling speed, it is far noiser than my old 3hp 2-stroke Johnson. Trolling speed is about 3kts on my little 10' Jon Boat.

I thought it was a little noisy in the test tank but dismissed it as being in the tank. The first time I tried the engine on the boat it cranked then made a loud pop and nothing. It wouldn't crank after that. I took it back to the boat place and they found a broken crank shaft. The bolts appeared to have backed out. I spent $92 for parts.

Yesterday I put about 45 minutes on the engine. I got tired of the noise at trolling speed. At cruise speed, maybe 5mp, it is is 2-3 times louder than my old 2-stroke Johnson. I cannot put up with the noise.

I wouldn't sell the engine to anybody because I don't believe in screwing folks. I'd like to sell it back to the dealer or get the dang thing fixed.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How loud should a 3.5 ho Merc. 4-stroke be?

A single cylinder engine, 2 or 4 stroke, is normally 3-4 times as loud as a JohnnyRude 3HP twin. I often compared my JW-13 to a Singer sewing machine.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How loud should a 3.5 ho Merc. 4-stroke be?

It's just the exhaust system. Trade it up at the dealer and get rid of it.