How to use multimeter to check condenser>>>>

skizman

Seaman
Hello. This is a 76 45hp Chrysler with alternator. Which ohm setting on my digital multimeter do I use to check the condensers? Ohm settings on my meter are>>>200----2k----20k----200k----20M----20m.
With leads hooked to condenser...on setting 200....nothing changes on the screen.
Setting on 2k.....nothing happens.
Setting on 20k....nothing happens.
Setting on 200k...nothing happens.
Setting on 20M....looks like it charges....even when I reverse the leads.
Setting on 2m...it discharges...even when I reverse the leads.
I really don't know what I'm doing and don't understand it either.
Can someone please tell me what to do step by step?
Also searched the net for days and I can't find any points or condenser for this engine. There must be other engines that use the same points and condenser??
Thanks!
Ski Z.

skizman

Seaman
Re: How to use multimeter to check condenser>>>>

Thankyou, but I have googled for many hours and really can't understand or get the picture on using the multimeter. Just found out that the two settings with a "M" are for DC volts. So the other 4 settings are ohm settings. Each setting shows the number 1 on the readout, maybe it's an "I" for infinity? I went to Reilly auto parts. He checked my condensers and got the same reading as I did at home....which was no change. Then he brought out two new condensers....checked the ohm's and they also gave no readings. I wish I knew what the hell to do next. So does that mean my condensers are ok? I have no idea.
Thanks.

wickware

Lieutenant

Check with ?Franz?s Marina? (contact info is in a search). Ask if stocks Chrysler Points/Condensers are still available. Ask if there is a difference from them and what Auto Stores stock (Napa/Etc). If you are getting years (5-10) out of your points w/o them burning, I feel they are OK, IMO. My points h/n burned since 1984 inspections vs needing cleaning due to oxidation, oil vapor on my 1970 35 hp Chrysler.

the condenser is a capacitor so the idea is that you are going to charge the capacitor using the voltage output of the volt meter when set on ohms until it is full. While charging the voltmeter will read low resistance and as it charges the resistance will rise until it is full then it will show infinity. Firstly you have to make sure its empty so set voltmeter to volts and touch the probes to the body and lead of the condenser wait 30 seconds then turn to ohms and this may be a real quick reaction as it doesn't take long to charge then touch the leads and see if the ohms start low then climb. If you have a expensive auto ranging meter you need to select manual settings or the reaction will be over before the meter sets its range (the range is moving so the meter keeps reseting then its to late)

skizman

Seaman

Well thankyou!! You explained it and made it simple. I set the meter to 20volts and when condenser discharged down to 0....I turned the meter to ohms but nothing ever changes on the readout no matter what ohm setting I switch to. There is still the #1 . on the readout, so I'll wait half a minute and turn back to volts and it reads .40 every single time and then it slowly discharges. So I really still don't know if this means a good or bad condenser? Both condensers did exactly the same.
Still dazed and confused.
Ski Z.

sounds like it is good as its holding a charge that you are able to read on the voltmeter. The condenser charges and discharges rapidly so unless you have a cap tester setting on the voltmeter its happening before you can see the reading. The charge/discharge is to stop the arc at the points and that is happening many times a second

skizman

Seaman

Ok thanks. I rounded up a couple condensers at the local auto parts store. I checked them with the multimeter and they were holding alot more charge than the two old ones. Tomorrow I'll see if they help the engine run better. Also filed the points.
Playing it by ear.
Thanks again!
Ski Z.