lower unit oil/general maintenance question

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was just wondering, how often do I need to change the oil in my lower unit? Other questions I have, everytime I add gas to the tank I treat with sta-bil, is this really necessary everytime. Is there anything I should do to the outboard engine oil aside from keeping the tank filled? thanks

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: lower unit oil/general maintenance question

I was just wondering, how often do I need to change the oil in my lower unit? Most change lower unit lube 1x per year. I get Pennzoil L/U lube @ Walmart for $5.26, so it's no big deal if your boat is on the trailer. Drain the oil into a clean pan so you can look for metal shavings and signs of water intrusion.

I add gas to the tank I treat with sta-bil, is this really necessary every time. It depends on how often you run the boat and how fresh your gasoline is. My boat is running 100% gasoline, and we run it 2x - 3x per week. I use gas treatments in the off season. The 90/10 gasoline actually needs treated more in summer than winter, as it deteriorates quicker in hot weather.

Is there anything I should do to the outboard engine oil aside from keeping the tank filled? No.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: lower unit oil/general maintenance question

Thanks Bama, Roll Tide!!!