New to forum!!! please help!!!

dved

Recruit
Hi everyone,

Just joined forum and supposed to pick up a 2004 Chaparral 190 SSI with the 4.3 Merc. motor.
Is this a good boat? Anything I should know? Am I making a mistake? Also does anyone know what I can expect for a top speed?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don & Shelli
Orlando, FL

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New to forum!!! please help!!!

Hi everyone,

Just joined forum and supposed to pick up a 2004 Chaparral 190 SSI with the 4.3 Merc. motor.
Is this a good boat? Anything I should know? Am I making a mistake? Also does anyone know what I can expect for a top speed?

Thanks,

Don & Shelli
Orlando, FL

Welcome to iboats!

I looked at an 04 Chap 190 with the 4.3, and had it not been out of my price range, it would be in the garage. Chapparal makes a nice boat, and the 4.3 is plenty of power for the average user, especially when a lot of 18-19 footers still run a 3.0.

As far as speed, depends on how much stuff you carry, passengers, prop, etc. If I had to guess, mild equipment, 3 adults, half tank of gas, and the correct prop, I'd say it'll run upper 40's, pushing 50 with a lighter load.

A few of the guys on here will probably list a bunch of things to check for as they are more experienced. But cosmetic condition is a good indicator of how people used and took care of it. If you are not experienced in inspecting/working on boats, you should probably consider hiring a mechanic to do an inspection.

Personally, i like to run compression checks, check the outdrive lube, and all other fluids. And take it for a test run with the owner. Good chance to listen to it running under load, see how it handles, make sure the gages work, cause those can get pricey to change. Not sure if they have fiberglass or wooden floors, but walk around all of the floor especially in the heavy traffic areas and make sure there are no soft spots.

Good luck, and happy boating!

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you already bought the boat.

Hopefully, you did an "on water" test drive before buying. Many folks would NEVER buy a vehicle unless doing a little test drive first. Same applies to boat buying process as well. re: Drive it slow and fast to "feel" how it runs in all throttle ranges and within the corners. Also get a trusted boat mechanic to perform end/end inspection - to double check things out as well. re: Cylinder PSI, steering sloop, flooring, etc. etc.

A 19ft 4.3L is a heavy weight boat - compared to OB motor of equal length boat. Depending on your Tow Vehicle, do ensure the boat trailer has brakes. If pulling with a pickup, then brakes are probably optional. But if pulling with a little SUV or mini-van, then get brakes installed on the trailer. Don't follow braking laws for your area. Use Tow Vehicle weight / braking numbers to decide if boat trailer needs brakes. If wondering, I have full electric brakes on my boat trailer (hauling 17ft OB motor) and love my trailer brakes. We'll worth installing trailer brakes - for my Trailer/Boat and Tow Vehicle combo. If wondering, I use Tow Vehicle's onboard max "cargo capacity" as decision number. My vehicle has a rear cargo capacity of 1,500 lbs. If attached loaded trailer is > 1,500 lbs, then my attached trailer gets its own brakes. IMO, the current LAW of "one size fits all" 3,000 lbs number in my woods needs to be re-written. But, that's a topic for a different thread.

If all is "thumbs up" and you do buy this specific boat, do confirm prop sizes - based on your unique driving conditions. Being a used boat, the previous owner might have a prop with too high of pitch or too low of pitch. For example, they did lots of tubing where "hole shot" toque power was needed more. But you want faster cruising speed instead. Some folks love aluminum props (get 2 for the price of one) and some folks love SS (Stainless Steel) props better. Aluminum props are better for shallow waters (re: they break if hitting something too solid) and SS props tend to go faster speed. But if SS hits / catches something hard, there's very high risk of creating IO drive damage.

Talk about "fast" speed, never trust the boat's speedo-meter. Many of them are incorrect (by design or because their sensor is full of dirt). If wanting to get exact numbers of fast speed, use a GPS unit. When it comes to speed, MPH gauge isn't that important (to me). The dash gauge to focus on is engine RPM. My boat has WOT RPM of 5,200 but I find my boat cruises best at 4,000 RPMs. Its "sweet spot" where boat is on plane but its engine isn't sounding too loud. Your boat's engine will have its own RPM sweet spot. Just like automobiles, boat engine run best at their 75%-80% max RM range as well. Consistently at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is hard on any engine.

A few mods / upgrades for your combo could be:
- LED lighting. If light assembly goes under water, then replace with LEDs.
- Trailer Tongue swivel jack
- Trailer Guides. They are mandatory when loading boat on a windy day.
- Have 2 x props. One geared for empty weight boat (for long distance cruising) and a lower pitch prop for tubing and/or being loaded down. Both props and wrench go with the boat and the other prop is onboard spare.
- Trailer brakes (depending on your Tow Vehicle size).
- Ski pole (instead of pulling from boat's transom hooks)

Hope this helps...

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chaparral have a good reputation as a manufacturer and a boat of theirs from 2004 is likely to be solid. Many people with a 19' boat use a 4.3 so that is normal.
The advice above is worth heeding if you are going to look at it. If you've bought it and are having a little remorse, just know that you bought a good brand and take the time to get familiar with it before and during your first few trips. Enjoy.

jkpell

Seaman Apprentice

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Don & Shelli
Orlando, FL

I got a 185 SeaRay that came with a 23" pitch prop. While the 23" would be good for top speed I installed a 21" and now have better hole shot and more speed as the motor can operate in the proper RPM range.

Lots of good information here, just ask questions and you will get your answers.