How to install an in-hull transducer

jjschwi

Cadet
Is this hard to do? Do I have to drill a hole in the boat where water can possibly leak..

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to install an in-hull transducer

For an in-hull (also known as shoot-thru) transducer, you don't have to drill any holes. If you mean a thru-hull transducer, then you do.

I suggest following the instructions that come with your transducer, but the short of the long of it is this:

1. test spot for accurate readings both stationary and moving (you'll probably need help). There are a few different and well documented methods to do this.
2. clean and prep hull bilge surface at your desired mounting point.
3. mount transducer to hull using slow-cure epoxy or other suitable adhesive.

Is is hard to do? Nope, I didn't find it hard at all and I'm sure you can do it too. The only thing that could make it difficult is if you have a very hard time getting at a usable spot in the bilge due to the boat's design. Cored bottoms are generally a no-no with in-hull transducers as well, or, if there are voids in your boat's fiberglass layup where you want to mount the transducer. These will result in erratic and inaccurate readings.

jjschwi

Cadet
Re: How to install an in-hull transducer

In general, what is the most desired method of installing the depth finder, thru-hull or in hull?