help bf9.9 spitting fuel

windowman

Cadet
20009 BF9.9 4 strokeseems to be spiting fuel out exaust tube when ideling discolors water behind boat any ideas on posible causes

fritzmerde

Seaman Apprentice
Re: help bf9.9 spitting fuel

Interesting question, my bf100 does the same thing. Since I did all the work on it I figured it was me. So I ripped it apart 2 more times, using different carbs, fuel filters, lines, connectors & even tank. It'll start on first pull and run fine. Sit at the dock and it looks like the Exxon Valdez(sp). I swear the bulb never gets tight, so I'm always looking but never finding a hole somewhere-good luck

windowman

Cadet

So I was looking for fuel leak again and found it very hard to see it leaking. The main fuel line that attached to carb had a zip tie as a clamp on it from factory seems to have a small fuel leak at this joint .I removed the zip tie and installed a hose clamp tightened up and seems to have solved my problem, why would honda use a zip tie for a hose clamp?????

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have never seen a zip tie on a fuel line from Honda, normally it is a little metal spring clamp. Did you buy the motor used?

windowman

Cadet

NO I bought the motor brand new with my new pontoon from a local very reputable dealer.