Picked up my new project

Firebolt420

Seaman Apprentice
I got my new(to me) boat it is a '74 Checkmate MX-16. It is in good shape structurally and only needs some electrical, sanding and clear coating and to swap my '86 115 Merc onto it. That is where my small issues are popping up. The OB has dual cable steering and the Checkmate has single. Now my question is can I use the single on the OB or do I have to now buy a dual system? If I can use the single, how do I do that?

Thanks for any help,

Firebolt420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Picked up my new project

Thanks, I will be back at the boat in the am snapping pics and figuring out what else I'm going to need. This is just the first of many questions.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Your boat is going to be a handful with the 115 hp Merc. 2 stroke "tower of power."

I would suggest you put a new steering system capable of handling such torture.

FYI: When your boat was new, motors used a different horsepower standards. Your 115 hp motor will probably be equal to a 140 hp by the old standards.

And a low profile boat like the small Checkmate should be running in the 60's.

An adjustable motor mount might make the boat more seaworthy, and easier to dial in the engine. I would also suggest you pay close attention to the propeller, possibly using a good prop shop to get it dialed in.

Firebolt420

Seaman Apprentice

Bamaman1, I plan on getting a jackplate(manual) and going with the dual cable steering as funds allow. I know the single steering is going to be a little stressed but the money to go that route is slim at this point and I can not find a dual system for less than $400.

I have thought about using the system from the Procraft and just get shorter cables but the helm is in rough shape on the Procraft and needs replaced anyway.

I have searched for just a helm and cables but have found those prices to end up being about the same as a whole new system.

I am not planning on pushing her limits this season, once the water starts to get a bit harder then she goes into the garage and gets a little more make over. Like everyone else I have already sat in the boat and dreamed of everything this beauty can be.

Thank you for the reply and advice,