Bonehead move

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a brand new sweetwater pontoon with 115 merc. Took out for the second time today and I forgot to turn the motor off before I pulled out of the water. I was able to get the engine off within 1 minute but I notice the intake ports were also plugged with seaweed. Now Im wonder what kind of damage I did. No warning went off indicating overheating but I'm not sure my boat has that. Any thoughts?

Re: Bonehead move

one min at tick over with no water probably did not do the water pump much good. I know that there would still be some water in the motor draining out so maybe it survived. Put the muffs on and if you dont see a good stream of water shut it down and replace the pump.
Its kinda 50/50 if it was mine and it was 1 minute then i would replace the impeller even if i was still seeing a good flow but other people might not agree

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I just picked up some ear muff thingy at Walmart. Hooked up to the intake with garden hose and fired it up. Water came out in a nice strong steady stream. I think I dodged a bullet. I will keep an eye on it the next time out and make sure water is coming out. Hopefully I did not destroy the impeller. I don't think the engine was running long enough without water to hurt it. Guess I will find out Sunday. Hoping the engine runs strong.

Mi duckdown

Commander

When was the last time the impeller last changed? I would change it no matter what. Piece of mind. Sorry didn't catch that it is a New motor. but i would still put a new impeller on.