89 Evinrude 150 Help testing out Timer Base

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just replaced my rectifier/regulator on my 89 150 XP to try to fix a single cylinder cold no spark issue. It was original and failed the tests. Since the flywheel was off I thought I would test the timer base, stator and power pack there were just replaced last year to make sure I didn't get a bad part. Following the repair manual it wants me to test the resistance between Terminal D to A, B, C and should get either a 360 on a stevens or 970 on a mercotronic. I do not get anything when doing this on either plug but I do get the proper reading from terminal D Port connector to terminal D on the starboard connector and pass the grounding test where none of the terminals are shorted to ground.

I know that the other test is using a peak read on the leads but was hoping this test might show something before I put the flywheel back on. But if the cranking test is better I'll put it back together and try that.

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 Evinrude 150 Help testing out Timer Base

Update: I decided to throw on the flywheel and test it the other way. Using the Peak Voltage Adapter I bought it's coming in at about 3.2-3.3 volts on each lead. The #1 (problem cylinder) is getting up to that peak but taking considerably longer to get there. 2-6 get there in a max of 3 cranks while 1 only goes to about 2.2 and then takes another 3 or so cranks to get up to the 3.2-3.3 range. I'm guessing that's about the 4 volt range that is required with the voltage drop going through the Peak Voltage Adapter I have. So is this good enough to say that part is good and test out the Power Pack, which was also replaced new last year?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory manual has two voltage tests: one is looking for 0.2 volts from the timer base when cranking. The other us looking for 1.2 volts. (two methods of testing.) You've used that second method. Anyway, if the output voltage is lower than either of these minimums, the timer base is condemned. Likely yours is ok, based on your numbers. Couple of other comments about this ignition system. 1. the combination rectifier/regulator is not part of the ignition system-it's part of the separate charging system. Two different things. 2. You can have spark issues if the stator is not outputting enough power. With your same peak-reading voltmeter, you should see a minimum of 200 volts from the stator when cranking. If it's lower, it's condemned. 3. Those XP/GT engines have been known to have flywheel magnet problems.. Check them to be sure they are still glued solidly in place on the outer ring of the flywheel. (they can come unglued with age-causing spark problems.) I've seen them replaced when the magnets loose their magnetism.

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll check the stator output then. I did check the flywheel while it was off as that was a recommendation before and the magnets were in good condition and all had good pull on my screw driver.

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm a little confused on the results when testing the stator as it is brand new last year with basically no hours on it. I did the charge coil test to test Terminals A-D using a peak reading voltmeter from the terminal to a ground and got voltage readings on every terminal but the manual says I should not get anything. Is says there's a grounding issue. Aside from ordering another stator are there any options?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

This website also offers ignition troubleshooting information. You might compare it with the manual: cdielectronics.com