Paint or gel coat

captainomalley

Recruit
I have a 1987 28 ft. Chaparral cabin cruiser which is white/off white. It has the original paint which is in excellent condition. During a recent hurricaine my boat got banged repeatedly into the doc, causing scrapes and gouges over several different areas on the port side. The repairmen are telling me that once the fibergalss work is done, the repairs must be spot painted using either gel coat or urethane. The urethane will match better but the gel coat will be more durable. If I want the entire side painted, it would have to be done with urethane since gel coat can't be sprayed. Does any of this make any sense? I want the gel coat since it is more durable but I want it to either match the existing color or I want the enire side repainted. Can anyone out ther help me?<br /><br /> Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Paint or gel coat

If your gone to do the whole side make sure that the resin is colored as close as possible to the original color white incase of scrachs in the future, it may be painted or gelcoated you can spray gelcoat by simpley over spraying it with PVA to seal it from the air so it will dry---bob